Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:49:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Rapture [Dec 17, 2009; DEMO]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rapture [Dec 17, 2009; DEMO]  (Read 6509 times)
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »

Play the alpha version or whatever here: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1261089252 [Flash, 1.8Mb]

Ride on top of the heads of the sprites and see how far up you can get. If you fall from too high up, game over.

4 buttons. Left, right, up [jump], and space [short boost].

Sprites used:
Arachne's astroman, interface arrow (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9147.0).
Easyname's tiles (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8761.0).
Oryx's character sprites and skulls (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0).
Yokomeshi's flames, bubbles, blood, and sparks (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8962.0).

Music/Sounds used:
Feeblethemighty's Precarious Precipitation, GO GO GO GO GO GO, and other sfx (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8963.0).
Jrhill's Wind sfx/loop (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8980.0).

Typeface:
Not Oryx's directly, but it is identical I think.

Old screenshots.

To do -
Menus
Hud (probably almost done, might add a bottom bar for other text)
Tweak jumping and boosting
Death
Sky tile transitions based on height (don't like the look of this, so might not include it)
Bug fixes
Sound
Clouds
Variable rocket engines (maybe; maybe based on sprite type)
Loader
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:37:42 PM by The Hamburglar » Logged

prof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »

This could be fun,  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

This is the weirdest use of the sprites yet! And it's very clever and unique for that. <3
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies Beer!

Updated with clouds and HUD. The player and character sprites move behind the clouds, for difficulty.

Definitely didn't make that jump.

Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »

Updated with demo.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »

Best: 570...

that any good?
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »

Nice, this is quite fun.
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

Best: 570...

that any good?
Pretty good I think. Try for 666.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »

793, fun stuff!

not sure if it's your intention but there's a lot of leeway now for getting a jump off even when you should technically be falling. I actually think it makes the game more fun to play that way, but it looks a bit funny to be jumping off of nothing.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

This is very cute. I didn't read the thread, and tried jumping on a cloud. Sad

Something feels a bit funny about the controls; maybe I'm expecting a bit more inertia moving side to side.

Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »

Quote from: lowpoly
not sure if it's your intention but there's a lot of leeway now for getting a jump off even when you should technically be falling. I actually think it makes the game more fun to play that way, but it looks a bit funny to be jumping off of nothing.

The second jump is intentional, but you only get one.

Quote from: Pishtaco
and tried jumping on a cloud.

I uploaded a new version with different clouds. Try it out.

I think the controls are fine. You might have to get used to them though.

Fromage de Soja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:39:20 PM »

I'm finding this addictive! 870 so far. Sometimes I respawn already riding a rocket. It seemed that the restart/screen wipe effect lasted considerably longer after like, the 10th attempt or so. I think adding a time bonus would be nice too; one time I got up to like 700, and then fell for a while before finally catching a new ride, and then got to like 600, so it was a pretty long session. I feel as if I should be rewarded Smiley
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 01:00:23 AM »

Sometimes I respawn already riding a rocket. It seemed that the restart/screen wipe effect lasted considerably longer after like, the 10th attempt or so. I think adding a time bonus would be nice too; one time I got up to like 700, and then fell for a while before finally catching a new ride, and then got to like 600, so it was a pretty long session. I feel as if I should be rewarded Smiley
Last update for tonight. Rockets spawning while the game is resetting should be fixed now, and the timer is a great suggestion, and I added it to the help menu.

I'm not sure about the respawn time. I think it just might be flash grinding to delete stuff, but I can't figure it out. If it seems to get even longer than that let me know.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »

Whoa, sweet!

hi
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Just played the demo.  Pretty fun and addicting!  I like the dichotomy between the dream inducing intro screen and the chaotic gameplay.

Also noticed that my music for the intro wasn't looping properly.  Oops.  Thought i looked at that.  Sorry.  I just tried to fix it but there still is a bit of a click when looping.  You did well with the fade out.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »

My only suggestion is to have the screen scroll down a little bit more when you're falling so that you can see if anything's coming up.

hi
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »

Quote from: feeblethemighty
Also noticed that my music for the intro wasn't looping properly.  [...]  I just tried to fix it but there still is a bit of a click when looping.  You did well with the fade out.
I thought that was just flash being unable to render sounds correctly. Flash is terrible with sfx. I might add a bit more fade out on the next version, but its hardly noticeable right now. The music sounds great.

Quote from: jrhill
My only suggestion is to have the screen scroll down a little bit more when you're falling so that you can see if anything's coming up.
I think you're right. I'm going to try to add 64 more pixels to the bottom, but I didn't design it to be scalable like that so it might need a bit of reworking.

Thanks for the replies.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »

Well another way is just to move the character up the screen a bit when he picks up speed from falling.

Not sure if that'd be any easier for you though.

hi
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »

Well another way is just to move the character up the screen a bit when he picks up speed from falling.

Not sure if that'd be any easier for you though.
It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. I thought the sky tile creation/deletion was more disorganized than it was.

New version is up. Please let me know about any bugs.

Still needs a preloader.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »

Awesome!

I'm up to 1158 now. GiggleHand Shake Right

hi
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: