Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:24:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOK, Lets make a tiggame!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: OK, Lets make a tiggame!  (Read 4695 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »

----------------Basic Idea----------------
The idea behind this topic, is to eventually create a design document of a fully functional game designed by a multitude of people(I.E. The "tigsource" community).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, where to begin? You can post ideas, suggestions and have discussions about what the game should be. ANYTHING. Just remember, I don't want to see any talk about 'Who will program it' or whatnot. This is a place for only discussions. How about we start by deciding the games genre and mechanic and slowly move on...

----------------------------DA LIST---------------------------
story:
ADAM ATOMIC IS MISSING!

Characters:
A tiger-gentleman.

In game content:

extra info:

EDIT: If you want to goof of and say it is going to fail then yes, you failed it!

Ok so it's going to be an rpg.
Godspeed!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:41:03 AM by antymattar » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »

Character?  TigerGentleman

ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »

Droop
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »

Let's make a single player pong and see how far we come.

My part are the Player-controls-mechanics:
The player is a rectangular paddle at the left of the screen. You can only control it up or down. The input-response is instant, no lag. The movement-speed is linear, no acceleration.
Ok, I am done:P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:39:11 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »

Droop
Facepalm I don't understand.
You want us to make a character using the smileys?

keramago
Level 0

i killed a man irl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

i think you're looking a little too deep into it Undecided

~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Well, let's focus ideas on what's already mutually popular around here:

-Versus seems to be pretty keen. Multiplayer in general, in fact. And writing good AI (unless somebody here is really good at that) can be a PitA; so I'd recommend that PvP should be the rough equivalent of boss encounters (and a large focus of the gameplay).

-Procedurally Generated Content is of high interest, along with crisp level design... so if we can "procedurally generate" well-designed levels... just take a level design with "open entry" and a limited exit (as well as a "starting point" that force-feeds you through one exit, into the opening level), and stack them together. If scrolling, a sublevel's design and flow could be entirely changed this way, simply by the previous level's exit point acting as an alternative starting point in the new level. Narrative flow could be created somewhat via exit points, as well.

-Demon's Souls is a major hit here on a number of levels - it's "friends or foes" structure, difficulty curve that assumes you aren't a noob to gaming, ability to invade other worlds, forum-like messaging structure, and how picking different characters or classes provides an entirely new strategic experience. I have a number of ideas of how to implement this kind of stuff; but that depends entirely on what creative direction we intend to go with this project. So I'll discuss that later, if this thing does take off.

-Shmups seem to be blasting off lately here as well; and they're versatile in how they can be developed - in fact, it's one of the few genres that works well as either side-scroller, vertical-scroller, OR open-movement. Racing games can do that to, to a certain extent; and there's really no good reason a shmup and racing game style couldn't coincide, at least somewhat. In fact, I think more influence from one another would only make both types of games more fun. And a vehicular gameplay focus would probably result in easier/less spritework, as well.

-MvC 2/3 is an attention-getter too. Perhaps incorporating ideas of special moves from that into attacks could be fun. Ever see a ship combatable vehicle* pull a "Molecular Shield," "Psy-Thrust," or "Proton Cannon?" Would you ever like to?

*Why limit thinking to "flyers?" Facepalm

-Many of us love platformers and Metroidvanias, too. I could see a "Metroidvaniaesque" advantage system coming into play somewhat - like winning a certain event/objective will give you an ability to more easily traverse terrain or a combat advantage. Incorporating platformer stuff... might be easier as a side-scroller instead, but again, that part's debatable. But for sake of simplicity, I think we'd all opt to not do a mixed setting (think NES TMNT).

Originally, I threw this idea out in the Versus compo. It was about a resource-managing co-op/competitive RPG with a roguelike setting and RPG'esque PvP battle system. But with a little rethinking; we could take the basic outline of that, and change it into a co-op/competitive "adventure/racing/shmup" game with intrinsic hazards beyond just that of other players. And perhaps even incorporate your user-avatar here as your "character" window; so people know just who you are, here.

This could also provide RPG-like elements like status effects and elementals in a non-RPG-typecase kind of way. And while yes, a shmup/adventure at it's core, I'd also recommend avoiding an outer-space kind of setting, as well - that's usually a killer in the level design department.

Some more character/NPC influence is pretty obvious:

Cave Story  Gentleman  Blink  Panda  Tiger  Noir  Wizard  Ninja  SMB Mario - "I control the gaming world, woohaha!" and of course, the bespectacled-joystick logo.

*EDIT: Divided wall of text for readability.

*RE-EDIT: Upon further thinking... a psuedo, forward-scrolling 3D kind of game could do all of the above, AND incorporate the platformer elements, as well. Think "if Sonic 2 worked like Crash Bandicoot," somewhat. But again, all totally up to debate, regarding the creative direction and further input.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:26:09 PM by baconman » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

Basic idea for "tl;dr":

A competitive "racing shmup" game...
with directional-but nonlinear (think Sonic 2) procedural level design...
and optional platforming influence;
and attacks/shot patterns influenced by MvC2 special and super moves,
possibly with RPG-like status ailments, but in a more vehicular sense;
and a "plotline" that unveils during sublevel exits, perhaps branching upon wins/losses.

Plus, your avatar here.

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

So all of us unite to make an awesome game? We work in completely different coding languages. It would be difficult to say the least.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »

I would assume since this will likely be a cross-platform production, multiple applications would be in the works, as well; but we'd have to see a. who's on board, b. what all they all use, and c. which would be easiest to initially compile in.

Also, the reason I hesitate to push a perspective direction is because I think it would be most fitting for the artwork designers to establish that; based on what they do best. Then we could work out details of how that would affect more-specific gameplay design. It takes input of all kinds of consideration, but I believe (and have for about a year now) that TIGS can pull something like this off in spades. A few projects at once, even.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:42 AM »

indie brawl? baldings quest? we ARE making tiggames.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »

indie brawl? baldings quest? we ARE making tiggames.
I think he means something closer to Tig Duels for Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

I feel that a tiggame is inclusive and somewhat masturbatory, but if one such game were to be created a nice big rpg would be the way to go. Speaking without authority here I'd venture as far as to say that to make an RPG that approaches commercial standards would require more effort in the way of content rather than the engine. Content that, depending on the artstyle and tools set up for the creation of new items, would require a relatively low skill level to create (a single standing sprite and some text for an NPC, a small sprite and some stats for a new item, a couple new tiles to make a new area unique) which would allow a wide range of users to contribute in a meaningful way.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »

Derek vs Icy
Arbitration by paul eres

mirosurabu
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »

Derek Yu: Ace Attorney

Icy will be prosecutor and Paul will be the judge.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »

Um....Platformer rpg? Anyone!? ABOUT INDIE DEVELOPERS? Come on!

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »

Derek Yu: Ace Attorney

Icy will be prosecutor and Paul will be the judge.

paul or Paul?

you gotta be clear on that

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »

Um....Platformer rpg? Anyone!? ABOUT INDIE DEVELOPERS? Come on!

Likes this, too.

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »

Hmmmm... I was going to try and help contribute some trillby sprites. Maybe I should get back on top of that...

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »

i disapprove of the entire thing
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: