Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 09:17:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1457732 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5900 on: October 13, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »

It all makes sense now. Rain World was really a retelling of Icelandic/Norse folklore all along

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: October 13, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »

Icelandic Death Cat will be my band name once I'm done with this dang thing.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5902 on: October 13, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »

THE PRODIGAL SON HAS RETURNED TO US

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: October 14, 2016, 12:07:31 AM »

"This dang thing" is your current band?

tinaun
Level 0

wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: October 14, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »

It would be great if you could do a kickstarter update in your media push, it's looking a little barren and people (who apparently don't know of this devlog, sadly) are getting a little concerned
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5905 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:40 AM »

yessssssss thats the plan! should be soon too. i just dont have a minute to devote to it until we get the PS4 stuff wrapped.

the game is Quite Large, and the only way for me to do a proper test is to "speed run" the game and take notes on performance issues, shader problems, wonkiness. I say "speed run" it in quotes because the fastest I, the person who made every room and region and know all the secrets and shortcuts, have been able to play to the win condition (skipping 3 regions!) is 8hrs. And that is ignoring all the narrative stuff and endgame content ofc.

ASG has people testing as well, but since a lot of this stuff is making sure that some shader effect in room 1367 is the right color and transparency, or this audio layer lines up with 4 others in the right way, its basically only me that can do it. So I run the game over and over every day as they update the builds, taking screenshots and video of the problems and sending it to them to tweak. this is my punishment for ambition!

but yeah as soon as this nightmare is over its time to update the fans and let them know the good news: rain world is coming...

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: October 14, 2016, 01:44:33 AM »

the game is Quite Large, and the only way for me to do a proper test is to "speed run" the game and take notes on performance issues, shader problems, wonkiness. I say "speed run" it in quotes because the fastest I, the person who made every room and region and know all the secrets and shortcuts, have been able to play to the win condition (skipping 3 regions!) is 8hrs. And that is ignoring all the narrative stuff and endgame content ofc.

And I was thinking testing my 10 minutes game was long ...
keep up the good work and don't go into burn out!

you seem to be devoted to deliver a good experience and that is both a blessing and a curse!

Good luck and courage !

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5907 on: October 14, 2016, 01:48:16 AM »

thank you friends, i'll need it!

since were here I'll post what Joar is working on right now, which is an options menu for the PS4 build: https://gfycat.com/SentimentalGoodnaturedIndianrockpython

how exciting!

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: October 14, 2016, 02:06:34 AM »

I know this is a work in progress but ... isn't the "Wipe save" button a bit big ? given its label I guess it will be used by few players and you don't want to use it by mistake.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: October 14, 2016, 03:06:19 AM »

The UI and graphic design is generally pretty terrible hahaha! I hope to be able to go back to it and fix it up a little bit at some point for sure. The game only has like, 3 menu screens though, and in the standard case your only interaction with it will be hitting "continue" in the main menu, so it's a super minor part of the game. The button is big because it's a safety button - you can't click it but need to hold it and a white semi-circle will fill in gradually.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5910 on: October 14, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »

Joar returns! Hope you're doing well, the last few months have sounded really really intense

the game is Quite Large, and the only way for me to do a proper test is to "speed run" the game and take notes on performance issues, shader problems, wonkiness. I say "speed run" it in quotes because the fastest I, the person who made every room and region and know all the secrets and shortcuts, have been able to play to the win condition (skipping 3 regions!) is 8hrs. And that is ignoring all the narrative stuff and endgame content ofc
Damn, that's crazy. The game must be like 15-20 hours for a regular player then?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: October 14, 2016, 04:54:08 AM »

The button is big because it's a safety button - you can't click it but need to hold it and a white semi-circle will fill in gradually.
What if when I test that, my mouse's battery dies and so the click is permanently registered until I put in new ones?
I know that that is literally the rarest of possibilities, but perhaps also have a final confirm dialog after it's held?

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: October 14, 2016, 05:23:04 AM »

rain world is coming...
RAIN WORLD IS COMING, RAIN ON EMPTY SHELLS.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5913 on: October 16, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »

JOAR LIVES Tears of Joy
hypedupdawg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: October 17, 2016, 02:20:58 AM »

rain world is coming...

Guys, your dedication and the effort you've put in to this project is amazing. As someone who's lurked with this thread open in a tab for the last year, just wanted to say: I've already more than had my money's worth out of this game, and I'm super excited for the release!

Stay sane in the home stretch Smiley
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: October 17, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN.

Tho I'll have no idea when I'll have time to play it if the dev himself takes 8 hours.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5916 on: October 17, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »

^ this is a good point that brings up something that we haven't really talked about much recently.

the initial concept of the game, which we still believe in to a certain extent, is that it would be something to inhabit rather than "win" per se. the size of the world, complexity of the ecosystem, even the backstory and secrets, are all geared to hopefully make the ingame experience feel unending, self-consistent and "believable", where theres layers behind layers and you always feel like you could take another turn and discover a whole new world. so hopefully that sense of exploration and discovery is rewarding whether a player sinks in 2 hrs or 20 hrs.

Ideally what we want is some imaginary midpoint between the intention / art of a hand-crafted experience and the scope of a procedurally generated world. ambitious for sure. foolhardy and likely a terribly inefficient use of development time. but for whatever reason, we were compelled to do it!

ventuswings
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: October 21, 2016, 08:55:30 AM »

Discussion about length of the game actually makes me wonder...

With permanent positive relationship modifier, is it possible that some earlier species will become non-factor in late game due to mechanical reasons, as aggressive instincts of the individual will be overridden by positive global "reputation" stockpiled throughout?
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5918 on: October 21, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »

I'll be looking for those bird eggs like crazy so that none of those birds are spawned in the latter levels :D.

Asking for a 3rd time : any videos from PAX West ? hungry for new RW content Smiley

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: October 21, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »

Discussion about length of the game actually makes me wonder...

With permanent positive relationship modifier, is it possible that some earlier species will become non-factor in late game due to mechanical reasons, as aggressive instincts of the individual will be overridden by positive global "reputation" stockpiled throughout?

The game technically supports this for some species, but for some of them it's very difficult to actually make it happen as the default interactions are mostly negative, as in the case of lizards. It would be interesting to see if someone could become a lizard master though - it would definitely take a lot of dedication, but the potential to make it happen should be in there!
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic