Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 02:52:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI miss the old crowd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: I miss the old crowd  (Read 19164 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 03:04:55 PM »

Sorry, there has just been a wave of the old guard making posts along the lines of what I said, and it had just been really irking me.  I just assumed this was another one of those.  You are allowed to miss the people you miss, sorry about putting my rant in here.

I don't really have an beefs per se, but I am sick of those worthless posts.  The people who make them could offer a lot to our community if they wanted to, which is probably the most infuriating part of it all.  Instead they seem to prefer to lurk around shitfest threads and make snide remarks about how the neighborhood just isn't what it used to be, which isn't exactly the most productive thing to do.

These forums are full of bright, talented people who care deeply about these things we call indie games.  By and large these are the best, most active, most helpful forums for game making on the internet. So it rubs me the wrong way when these people come in and start talking shit.  Instead of doing that they should either:
a) try to make the forums into the kind of place they want them to be
b) make the place that they want to be
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »

'07 represent. I miss Corpus and chutup.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 03:19:19 PM »

i should add:  I don't know nearly as many of the "new crowd" as i'm sure i'd like, and maybe i'll work on changing that, i really do miss the feel of a nice fitting community ;-)  but i will say seeing the likes of Paul Eres, Blademasterbobo, Dragonmaw and Cthulhu32 posting makes me feel all fuzzy inside :3

this forum will be my deathbed
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

I understand that feeling when a forum you're a regular on starts to lose its old members, its a large part of the reason why I started frequenting tigsource so much.
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »

'07 represent. I miss Corpus and chutup.

Baroncid

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:01 AM »

I've been around since 2007, but I didn't post a lot back then. I've never really seen myself as one of the cool game designer kids, even though I make games as a hobby, so I guess I was afraid someone would rip out my heart and eat it or something.

We should revive the thread about MS Painting bits of video games. That was the best thread.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »

I miss the old crowd too.  Hanging out at HAL-PC, making indie games in the BASIC Special Interest Group, and making the Assembly Language SIG folks jealous.  Bitching about the BBS's portal to the Internet eating all the good lines.

All those shareware/freeware indie games to download from the board...  All those demos from the demoscene... One CD could hold thousands.  That feeling when you made your own game/demo or found one that no one else had, and uploaded it -- Sweet brief little godhoods.  Browsing for something new to play then BAM "SYSOP WANTS TO CHAT" and your screen splits in half and you're talking to an admin about some obscure indie game, but we just called them "games".  Chatting was a bit more personal when you could see the characters appear as they were typed.

That was back before the multi-hundred-million dollar budgets when just one or a few guys could get together and still make a game that could compete with the top of the line.

Yep, that's why I'm here.  I miss the old days too.  It's strange really: I stopped making games because of work/life, and being discouraged -- None of us could compete with the big guys...  It seemed that people wouldn't ever want to play my little games when they could be playing those impressive 3D monsters -- But I was Wrong!  I was Dumb!  People WILL play indie games.  They CAN compete, and lots are better, richer, or deeper than many AAA games.

So, yeah, I miss my old crowd, and I might be new here, but I owe a really big thanks to your old crowd for re-kindling the creative sparks and helping lead me back to the path again with their own games.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:27:54 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »

I miss the old crowd too.  Hanging out at HAL-PC, making indie games in the BASIC Special Interest Group, and making the Assembly Language SIG folks jealous.  Bitching about the BBS's portal to the Internet eating all the good lines.

All those shareware/freeware indie games to download from the board...  All those demos from the demoscene... One CD could hold thousands.  That feeling when you made your own game/demo or found one that no one else had, and uploaded it -- Sweet brief little godhoods.  Browsing for something new to play then BAM "SYSOP WANTS TO CHAT" and your screen splits in half and you're talking to an admin about some obscure indie game, but we just called them "games".  Chatting was a bit more personal when you could see the characters appear as they were typed.

That was back before the multi-hundred-million dollar budgets when just one or a few guys could get together and still make a game that could compete with the top of the line.

Yep, that's why I'm here.  I miss the old days too.  It's strange really: I stopped making games because of work/life, and being discouraged -- None of us could compete with the big guys...  It seemed that people wouldn't ever want to play my little games when they could be playing those impressive 3D monsters -- But I was Wrong!  I was Dumb!  People WILL play indie games.  They CAN compete, and lots are better, richer, or deeper than many AAA games.

So, yeah, I miss my old crowd, and I might be new here, but I owe a really big thanks to your old crowd for re-kindling the creative sparks and helping lead me back to the path again with their own games.

Sir, you are a gentleman of exceptional quality and i tip my hat to you.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
JWK5
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »

you'd have to be a seriously bad shot to miss a crowd
An even worse shot to miss an old crowd, I mean how hard is it to pick off an old lady scuttling away in a walker?

In any case, I don't know about old crowds and whatnot (I don't even remember when I joined the first time... actually, where the fuck am I anyways?) but I don't really see anything too terrible about the current crowd. We all suffer from foot-in-mouth disease from time to time but for the most part people are pretty helpful and caring here. If you need some reassurance check out the Creative forums or Human Hugs.
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »

Derek Yu molested me in the old days.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

february 15 2007
Things really started going downhill after the 16th

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »

bump: egoraptor was a member of the forum back in 2008? :O but he posted like, 5 times then never came back lol

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

He's friends with xerus.

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »

He's friends with xerus.

He's friends with a south african ground squirrel???

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xerus

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »

He's friends with xerus.

He's friends with a south african ground squirrel???

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xerus

Yeah that's me.  Wizard
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »

The old crowd isn't really gone if we find a way to remember them in our hearts.

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »

am i old

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »

2009, so no

old is february 2007 (first month of the tigs forums)

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »

2009, so no

my oldest account (before the previous deleted one) was from october 2007, but

that's in the past now

still, it makes me an older crowd than you people
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »

2009, so no

Plenty of old people haven't existed since the dawn of the time. That seems an unfair criterion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic