Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 04:42:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 90385 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »

Oh, man, finally!  This is gonna be so epic.

<3's

@doomlaser, mark johns
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »

Another question: Will each programmer be using the assets of a different artist, or can anybody use any assets they want?

I hope that the programmers will be able to use stuff from any and all artists they want. (As long as proper credit is given, of course!) Because then you could have wacky entries where someone tries to use every single asset in one game. Well, hello there!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 07:06:16 PM »

Oh yeah, I'll clarify that.  You can use assets made by ANYBODY.  Mix n' match!
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »

Man. Took me a minute to realise it's not two sad people with arms growing out of their heads.
LSK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

Gosh I'm tempted to write some music for this.
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »

I'm in on this.

LoserHands
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 08:03:49 PM »

You can use assets made by ANYBODY.  Mix n' match!
Besides ourselves, if we're participating in both parts, right? Sorry. Tongue
This is going to be epic, I'm definitely in all 'this. :D
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

This sounds so interesting and very challenging as well! I probably be done with my school project by the time the part one is finished so hopefully I'll have time to enter this. Beg

nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »

What's the feeling on including ideas with the assets? Like, "Here's this stuff, here's a short design sketch I had to go along with it"? Or should the threads JUST be assets with no "director's commentary"?

johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »

oooh awesome compo idea. I may try creating some assets and if I actually get anything done make a thread :D
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

This is going to be so awesome! Unfortunately i'm going to have to wait a month until i'm any use. Well, got some time to get some practice with Flixel

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »

So I can just bang out 2-minute loops of music without actually having to think of what sort of thing they go to?

And I get to do the same with 3D models?

Hells fuckin' yeah.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »

I am interested in both halves of the competition! Can I do both, as long as I don't use my own first part resources in my second part entry?
I like the idea of just going nuts and making diverse resources for not one game in particular, and just do as much as possible.

And I guess its probably best if the author does not comment on his own art much, or it might limit the designers' imagination about its various possible uses...

studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »

Huh this looks like fun. I'll have time in November to make a pile of sound effects, sound designs, voices, ambiences and other audio bits (not music). I'm open to collaborating with artists that want a sound set for characters. Is that allowed ? I could also use some advice on how to use a media player in my thread that would allow people to preview (play) my sounds in the thread ... any ideas ? help ...
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »

Really solid compo Derek!  Beer!
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 01:40:08 AM »

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I have copyright concerns. As a programmer, I don't like the idea of using assets without explicit permission to do so - a random guy could come along later, make unreasonable demands, and scupper my project. E.g. I'd like to showcase a piece of work indefinitely after the contest is over. Equally, artists must be concerned about what happens to their assets after the competition. What if a guy goes on to sell his compo game?

Could you provide a license for assets posted. Everything has to be posted under that, or freer? As far as I care, it doesn't have to be fancy, just a series of bullet points detailing it to put my mind at rest. IANAL.

I'd recommend something like:
By submitting assets you grant the right to non-commercial perpetual irrevocable use of the asset for projects submitted within the competition.

People feeling more generous should use one of the creative commons licences.

Also, I'm keen, though it sounds like it's going to be hella hard to sort through all the created stuff. I'm reminded of early click and play days, where nothing in the standard library fit together in style or theme.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »

Awesome. And not starting the programming until after November? Superawesome.
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 02:56:25 AM »

Woo, methinks me'll make a thread and knock up some crappy awesmoe assets :D (maybe not in that order)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 05:58:43 AM »

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I have copyright concerns. As a programmer, I don't like the idea of using assets without explicit permission to do so - a random guy could come along later, make unreasonable demands, and scupper my project. E.g. I'd like to showcase a piece of work indefinitely after the contest is over. Equally, artists must be concerned about what happens to their assets after the competition. What if a guy goes on to sell his compo game?

Could you provide a license for assets posted. Everything has to be posted under that, or freer? As far as I care, it doesn't have to be fancy, just a series of bullet points detailing it to put my mind at rest. IANAL.

I'd recommend something like:
By submitting assets you grant the right to non-commercial perpetual irrevocable use of the asset for projects submitted within the competition.

People feeling more generous should use one of the creative commons licences.

Also, I'm keen, though it sounds like it's going to be hella hard to sort through all the created stuff. I'm reminded of early click and play days, where nothing in the standard library fit together in style or theme.

From what I read on the OP, the art is to be released with something like this CC license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/ca/
Well thats what I got from reading it, I think that is reasonable.

Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 06:12:43 AM »

This is a pretty awesome idea for a compo.  I'm a bit busy polishing off my latest game right now, but maybe I can get it done it time to participate.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what people come up with.

Edit:  Derek, I have 4 suggestions for the rules:

1.  If you contribute to Part 1, you're not allowed to use your own work in Part 2.  That would defeat the spirit of the competition.

2.  Excessive use of procedural art in Part 2 is discouraged.  I guess particle systems and stuff would be ok, but you can build a whole game with randomly generated art if you wanted and we already had a procedural compo.

3. I presume that we can't start work on Part 2 until it's greenlit?  Can I prototype design ideas?

4. Converting between formats should be allowed, I think, as long as the core work remains unchanged.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:32:22 AM by Alex Vostrov » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic