Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411642 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 05:46:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReprisal - Green Lit!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Reprisal - Green Lit!  (Read 24751 times)
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

Reprisal officially launched

Play now online at:
http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/

So whats this all about?
Reprisal is a RTS god game inspired by Bullfrog's classic Populous. I spent many hours playing that game on my Amiga 500 totally in awe of its isometric pleasures and watching little people roam my landscapes. I wanted to produce this game, Reprisal, as a labour of love and share the fun I had all those years ago playing the original while adding my own twist.

Early game footage:

Who's making this?
Just me and a talented guy called Eric who's made all the music. I set out at the beginning of the year 2011 vowing at long last to make a game. I'm a graphic designer who's worked in digital design for a number of years playing with Flash ever since it was called 'splash'. I always wanted to make a game with a strong visual style but be nostalgic to past gaming eras. I've been learning AS3 as I've been developing and reading vast amounts on A.I and isometric maths!

Where's it going to go?
It's being made for play over the web in a normal Mac and PC browser's that supports flash. I have been considering a port for touch devices but this will need some serious dev work and I feel I need to concentrate on getting this version finished first.

Background
“You were once a powerful leader of a distance tribe with the ability to harness power totems of nature. With these powers you guided your people.

Now you have been cast aside as three tribes who are at war have taken control and scattered your people and totems across distant lands.

You must now guide your people to become a powerful tribe once again, collecting your power totems throughout the lands and overthrowing those tribes that stand in your way.

Begin your Reprisal to reclaim your history …”

Reprisal now on Steam Green Light, Vote here!!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141030686

[UPDATED LINK 04.03.2012]

Current work in progress build can be viewed at this link:
http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/playreprisal/

If everything goes smoothly and I find the hours that I need then this will be completed by end of the year 2011! More looking like the Q1 of 2012!  Smiley

Hope you enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:28:33 AM by electrolyte » Logged

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »

I absolutely LOVE this art style. I'm a populous newbie though and can't figure it out.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »

This looks ace!
jarodl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »

+1 on the art style. This looks gorgeous.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys, @grayfox88 yes it needs some serious tutorial / instructions Smiley

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »

This looks like a whole pile of KICK ASS!  Cool

Eli (Threeli)
Level 0

I make games sometimes - sometimes music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »

Played the current demo and I must say this game is extremely engaging.  It is also quite nice to look at.  I know your icon states 70% completed, but I was wondering how far out you consider it.  Anyway, the gameplay seems very polished.  (And since you mentioned it first: I could see this being a perfect match for any of the wide range of mobile devices existing these days.)

Keep up the good work.

Eli.

I'm working on something.
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »

The graphical style is super amazing! I love it when you can just look at one screenshot and think "I wanna play this!". You've succeeded with that!

The red and orange shapes in the screenshot, what are they? Explosions?  Well, hello there!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »

This looks totally awesome. Following.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »

I'm ravaging a village right now! It would be nice if the arrow keys went straight up and down and not se,sw, ne, nw. Pretty fun so far Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »

looks nice.

still want to remind you to read the rules first: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9.0
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »

Really nice looking game.  Instructions would be nice, as it took me a little while to figure out how to do anything, but pretty cool so far.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:26:58 AM »

I love this. Those graphics are adorable, especially the little guys, and I'm a sucker for extreme depth of field.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »

Oh my God

ed: I just wanna run through those islands. I love the presentation, and the powers. But, what's the plan for the game-game? it's still rather simple.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:25:27 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:36:31 AM »

Great style, love the pixel art with the slight blur. Mechanics are a bit confusing, though.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »

Had a good play around with the game today during my lunch break.  Cool beans  Coffee.  A bit of feedback though, I found it difficult to tell which ground tile I was targetting with the spells, the targetting reticule doesn't make it very clear and I felt like I was often fighting against the tile snapping rather than it working for me.  I think perhaps high-lighting the entire selected tile might make it more obvious exactly what you're aiming at.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

@Gainsworthy the final game will be a lot harder as the CPU players will start to attack and also unleash their own powers on your land. I'm putting a lot of work into the A.I balancing at the moment to give each of the 3 other tribes their own traits.

@motorherp thank you, yes I'll be looking into ways of making it more obvious which tile your on.

Just generally though, yep instructions will be added and hand holding to explain the basic machanics. I'm glad it pressing some buttons out there  Grin

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »

I'm glad it pressing some buttons out there  Grin

Dude, it's pressing all of my buttons. At once. I'm making that weird beeping noise that dodgy keyboards make, it's kind of annoying my family.

I've never played* the original Populous** but I do love Populous 3. There's just something joyous about watching your people potter around, build little houses, dance around campfires and subsequently burn another village to the ground. Also, terraforming. Man. Love terraforming.

So, naturally, getting a seriously similar vibe off this, it's gorgeous.

The reason I asked the game-game question is that I'm a little worried about 3 tribes unleashing Terrorform on one another. Contingency against the other spells is fine, but at the moment, all I have to do is carve lines wherever an enemy house is being built. Are you planning on making it more expensive, or having a range of influence or something? I just see it getting chaotic at the moment. Unless, of course, chaotic is what you're going for. In which go for it.

All the best with this, I'll be watching it closely. Have you worked on any other games I can play in the mean-time?  Smiley

*HERESY
**HERESY
Eli (Threeli)
Level 0

I make games sometimes - sometimes music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »

Contingency against the other spells is fine, but at the moment, all I have to do is carve lines wherever an enemy house is being built. Are you planning on making it more expensive, or having a range of influence or something? I just see it getting chaotic at the moment.

I second this question.  After toying with it some more I've witnessed this exact same issue.  I'm assuming you have a plan for this? I would also think a range of influence would make sense - maybe slightly outside of your village (or whatever you're calling it.)

Eli.

I'm working on something.
delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »

I agree with everyone here, this is pretty and I like it.

On a more technical note, mind talking about how you're doing your blur?

Are you assuming that because of the near-fixed depth you can just do a bottom to top blur knowing that the height of objects will make little if any difference?

Or do you actually have height and depth values per object for an accurate blur? For instance: Will the top of a tree be slightly more blurry then the ground pixels beside it?

I can't tell from the screen shot. And the pretty factor is too distracting to analyze.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic