Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 09:56:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoxel Quest: RPG with emphasis on procedural storytelling
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Voxel Quest: RPG with emphasis on procedural storytelling  (Read 13332 times)
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »

GAVBERRY CRUNCH BE DOIN ALL THE GAMES

IF YOU SAY SO MIGGY O'S

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »

Some buildings in action, all visuals use solid modeling as usual.  You can see the building being put together at: http://www.twitter.com/voxelquest

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »

This looks incredible. It almost looks like hand-drawn pixel art for the title screen of an old game. I hope the game looks like this when it's done.

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »

can you raytrace (assuming you are doing that) inside deformed cube? I mean skewed, rotated, etc ...

Also I bet you have already read the paper of media molecule "dream"'s rendering

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »

can you raytrace (assuming you are doing that) inside deformed cube? I mean skewed, rotated, etc ...

Also I bet you have already read the paper of media molecule "dream"'s rendering

Yep, I have read the media molecule paper - I actually encountered some similar problems as them.  It is ray-based, and I can do any sort of tranformation to the rays, allowing relatively cheap space deformation.  I can rotate objects, twist them, skew them, or even create portals easily.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »

Looking good as always, I just hope the project does actually ship in some finite amount of time.

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »

Looking good as always, I just hope the project does actually ship in some finite amount of time.

Actually, we have a slightly more "firm" target now, although as usual no hard dates.  We are aiming to get out the door in 3 months - won't be a fun game necessarily, but at least something for users to get their hands on.  Within 6 months we hope to have a basic prototype.  From there, it will just be continual improvement of the game for as long as possible and working towards the long term goals as time allows.  BTW I love the look of Super Battlelands Smiley

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »

I just wanted to come by and say you are a complete wizard.

Keep it up   WizardToast Right

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »

Yep, I have read the media molecule paper - I actually encountered some similar problems as them.  It is ray-based, and I can do any sort of tranformation to the rays, allowing relatively cheap space deformation.  I can rotate objects, twist them, skew them, or even create portals easily.

Perfect now you can do skin mesh like animation Well, hello there! think drawn to be alive but voxel Giggle

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »

I just wanted to come by and say you are a complete wizard.

Keep it up   WizardToast Right

Thanks!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2015, 04:09:16 AM »

I've upped the view distance considerably, and improved performance to handle it.

(Link to image, to large to see here well): http://i.imgur.com/VcKRJQ8.png

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »

next generation will be surely voxel overlord, it already overtake current optimization process for almost anything from lighting to occlusion, it's just a matter of time until you lead the glorious revolution with the fantastic four.

Just waiting for voxel animation though, to complete the circle

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2015, 04:27:03 AM »

That house on the cliff looks like a great home for a sorcerer.

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2015, 04:28:35 AM »

That house on the cliff looks like a great home for a sorcerer.

Or a hermit Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:43 AM »

Is it possible to do a similar optimisation to polygons, where distant voxels are "merged" into bigger ones? Like some kind of spatial octree deal?
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2015, 04:45:50 AM »

Is it possible to do a similar optimisation to polygons, where distant voxels are "merged" into bigger ones? Like some kind of spatial octree deal?

Yes, sort of. Smiley  I wrote a polygon-based voxel mipmapping solution once, which was used for this thing, but is not active in this video:

Problem is that you get some overdraw or spaces between the voxels as you make the far ones bigger, it produces gaps where there might not have been gaps before so all 6 faces need to be accounted for accordingly.

sueds
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2015, 05:07:10 AM »

Problem is that you get some overdraw or spaces between the voxels as you make the far ones bigger, it produces gaps where there might not have been gaps before so all 6 faces need to be accounted for accordingly.

maybe this could help

http://procworld.blogspot.ca/2015/08/voxel-occlusion.html

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2015, 05:13:03 AM »

maybe this could help

http://procworld.blogspot.ca/2015/08/voxel-occlusion.html

I am using ray tracing, not polygons, so overdraw is not a problem for me! But still an interesting read. Smiley

gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »

Just a few new shots of the vastly improved view distance (formerly 64-128 meters, now 16-64 KILOmeters) Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:43 PM »

euclidion was right

what was the breakthrough?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic