Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 06:43:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnother Metroid 2 Remake released
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Another Metroid 2 Remake released  (Read 5932 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »

Nintendo is also a bunch of artist who pretend they are not, I'm sure ego is at stakes too.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »

think of all the money and goodwill valve gained by saying "hey, sure, go ahead and sell this fangame. just give us a cut or whatever and make it steam exclusive is all we ask"

nintendo could have sniped this before it came out and done the same. missed opportunity.

nintendo could have just sniped it in general lol. has happened to plenty of ambitious fan projects in the past. the fact they're sending a dmca takedown (not even a c&d) AFTER the game comes out shows that they don't feel seriously threatened by AM2R. but whatever we've already been over this.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »

when i say "snipe" i mostly mean scope early and take a more positive course of action with, but yeah, agreed basically

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:25 AM »

Also tbh we don't even know if this actually came from nintendo higherups or if it was just some lawyers acting on their own. possible that NOA's legal team has a carte blanche to issue these takedowns.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2016, 02:39:27 AM »

who knows i heard that japanese copyright system is kinda borked.
Like you need the approval of original creator to release a product outside japan so products dont get relesed simply because author is some recluse weirdo who doesnt know where usa is.
Also i remembered a Jeff Gerstmann E3 story where japanese companies did not want to show anything to internet journalists because they thought they were pirates.
Magurp244
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »

No intention to derail anything again, though.

Its fine, a good debate is nice every now and then.  Wink

Also tbh we don't even know if this actually came from nintendo higherups or if it was just some lawyers acting on their own. possible that NOA's legal team has a carte blanche to issue these takedowns.

That's a distinct possibility. There also appears to be a spike lately in the number of fake DMCA notices being issued by scammers or individuals masqerading as copyright enforcement agencies or rights holders, so its possible an entirely unrelated third party might be filing these against AM2R because of some principle or objection to the fan game.

who knows i heard that japanese copyright system is kinda borked.
Like you need the approval of original creator to release a product outside japan so products dont get relesed simply because author is some recluse weirdo who doesnt know where usa is.
Also i remembered a Jeff Gerstmann E3 story where japanese companies did not want to show anything to internet journalists because they thought they were pirates.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who pretend to be Youtuber's and journalists to scam steam keys out of indie dev's, its not surprising they may react like that. Then again their attitude towards let's plays and such or community management lately leaves a bit to be desired.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:31 AM »

To be fair, there are plenty of people who pretend to be Youtuber's and journalists to scam steam keys out of indie dev's, its not surprising they may react like that. Then again their attitude towards let's plays and such or community management lately leaves a bit to be desired.
That E3 may have been in early 2000s or even 90s. Japanese representatives were scared of GameSpot and other early videogame sites.
Also I dont think pretend journalism key scamming is a problem considering that normal companies send out keys to outlets and noteworthy youtubers themselves.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

That's a distinct possibility. There also appears to be a spike lately in the number of fake DMCA notices being issued by scammers or individuals masqerading as copyright enforcement agencies or rights holders, so its possible an entirely unrelated third party might be filing these against AM2R because of some principle or objection to the fan game.

i thought they were confirmed to be real?
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2016, 12:44:28 PM »

iirc yes they were. there was early hope they weren't, though

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »

where's that story of square enix japan asking an overseas studio to fax them the source code of a discontinued game so it could be destroyed

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Magurp244
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

That E3 may have been in early 2000s or even 90s. Japanese representatives were scared of GameSpot and other early videogame sites.
Also I dont think pretend journalism key scamming is a problem considering that normal companies send out keys to outlets and noteworthy youtubers themselves.

Yeah I guess not, larger companies like Nintendo do tend to have tighter control of media access which discourages behavior like that among other things, though it almost sounded like it was a recent thing, heh. Its interesting that they were like that back then though, Japans PM was pushing Justin Trudeau not that long ago for Canada to ratify the TPP, makes me wonder why and how much the embeded copyright provisions and arbitration clauses may have to do with it.

iirc yes they were. there was early hope they weren't, though

Yeah, I dug a bit through the AM2R twitter feed and they had their attourney confirm it, so guess that settles it.

where's that story of square enix japan asking an overseas studio to fax them the source code of a discontinued game so it could be destroyed

Are you referring to this?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic