Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:44:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60167 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »

I doubt he's the friendly community-oriented type. A year ago I sent him an email politely asking for the song on the Cave Story website, to which he never replied. Roll Eyes

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 02:55:20 AM »

I have a philosophy with films which I think fits rather well here. If I feel the original was perfect, or near perfect, then I won't watch any remakes of it, as they can only be inferior. If you think the original Cave Story is perfect, or near perfect, then obviously you are going to think the remake isn't as good. Let's be honest all the Cave Story fanboys would only have been happy with a straight port. On a similar note, but from the other side of things, I don't get why people try to remake classic films/games as you're only going to get burnt by those that loved the original.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 04:53:26 AM »

On a similar note, but from the other side of things, I don't get why people try to remake classic films/games as you're only going to get burnt by those that loved the original.

Money.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 05:32:43 AM »

I like the new graphics, the new music sounds a little boring, switched it back to the classic one. Don't really care about the dialogue Tongue

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 06:04:51 AM »

This thread makes me laugh. Very hard to take it seriously when one of the main source of complaints seems to be a different translator using "OH YEAH" instead of "HUZZAH", I mean, what's the difference?

The problem is that if you say "Huzzah!", new fans of Cave Story will have no idea of what you are talking about. It became a way for recognizing other fans, because it was unique.

Now it is not unique anymore.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:11:46 AM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 06:16:30 AM »

The problem is that is you say "Huzzah!", new fans of Cave Story will have no idea of what you are talking about. It became a way for recognizing other fans, because it was unique.

So? It doesn't matter. The fact that fans have built their own meme out of the fan translation is unlikely something that would have or should have been taken into account by the translator working on the WiiWare release. They'll have hired someone new to make a translation based on the Japanese not on existing fan works. This makes a lot of sense to me.

Moaning about the localisation not being the same as the one you fell in love with seems like typical gamer entitlement and a weird sense of ownership.

I don't think this was made as a game to appease all the existing Cave Story fans who lets face it have already played through the game for free, this was an attempt to make something to bring in a new audience of players. Which is awesome, more people get to play it.

Still it's a nice bonus for the existing fans you can switch on the original art/music if you don't like the new stuff.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:30 AM »

This thread makes me laugh. Very hard to take it seriously when one of the main source of complaints seems to be a different translator using "OH YEAH" instead of "HUZZAH", I mean, what's the difference?
I think what's important is that there is a difference at all. When a popular game gets remade, even the smallest difference to the original is sure to induce severe cases of nerd rage in "old fans".
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »

I dont see why the music is such a problem if you have access to the original music as well...

This.
The old music has balancing and looping issues. It's a little weird when you get the music in Grasstown to sound right, and then the boss music is barely audible.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »

Also, all the music was redone by Yann van der Cruyssen (Nurykabe). He's a pretty cool guy and he did a lot of music for Knytt Stories and then was like co-creator of Saira. His music is great, but I simply cannot see any of it fitting an action-oriented game like Cave Story.

Yeah, this has gotten to me since the first trailers Nicalis put out. I love Yann's music (even those injoke-laden Stéphane Picq homages he made ages ago) and when I heard Nifflas would be providing samples, I was ecstatic. But I can't stand most of this remade soundtrack, and most people seem to agree. How could this happen?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »

Imho, this revamp of Cave Story would have done much better on a different console. As I see it, Cave Story is a gamer's game. The Wii generally attracts non-gamers ...
Completely agree with this. Cave Story should be on XBLA and PSN.
You guys should look up New Super Mario Bros Wii sales figures. Wink

So? It doesn't matter.
What, to you?  Of course it matters.  Not in and of itself, but it's symptomatic of Nicalis' detachment from the community that brought the game to their attention to begin with.  The initial crummy upscaled art, the refusal of putting Quote in Indie Brawl, changing a main character's catchphrase for no particular reason... it all adds up.  Tyrone clearly cares about the game, which is awesome, but all along the way it's seemed like maybe he never fully "got" it (or why the hardcore fans cared so much about it).

That having said, I'm pretty happy with the port!  The new art looks rad, it feels great on the Classic Controller, it runs well, and it's cool to see this little game made by a single shy Japanese guy potentially reach millions of new players.  Definitely good for "indie games" as a whole!

Of course, I hate the audio.  Not specifically the new music, but the engineering.  It's awful.  If you want to play with the original tunes, you'd better turn the sound effects way down and your TV way up... but even then it's a bit off.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 07:15:09 AM »

I know it sounds weird from an outsiders point of view, it just looks like nerds complaining about useless stuff (I'm assuming you're not a die-hard Cave Story fan), but imagine this situation, someone hypothetically decided to remake Terminator, and they decided to change Arnold's line from "I'll be back" to "See you in a while"; or Doc's catchphrase from Back to the Future "Great Scott!" to "Mamma Mia!"; Samuel L. Jackson's bible quote "The Path of the Righteous man..." - Ezekiel 25:17 to some quote from the Al-Coran in Pulp Fiction.

You get the idea, it's just nonsensical, they're completely cutting the older fans off with this. I don't really know why they decided to change it, but probably they never acknowledged that it was an important quote and just made an huge mistake accidentally.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »

Interestingly, Nicalis's blog has a post titled "Huzzah! We Alive!!!", so they clearly weren't unaware of the catchphrase's status.

Also: I think it is interesting that there has been no discussion here of the release date problems. First Cave Story was hinted at for Christmas 2008, then the first quarter of 2009, then March 2009, then Christmas 2009, then finally March 2010. (I think.)

So? It doesn't matter.
What, to you?  Of course it matters.  Not in and of itself, but it's symptomatic of Nicalis' detachment from the community that brought the game to their attention to begin with.  The initial crummy upscaled art, the refusal of putting Quote in Indie Brawl, changing a main character's catchphrase for no particular reason... it all adds up.  Tyrone clearly cares about the game, which is awesome, but all along the way it's seemed like maybe he never fully "got" it (or why the hardcore fans cared so much about it).

I really think Nicalis is acting like it's a big company that can afford to ignore fans' wishes and get away with vague release dates and be uncommunicative except with press outlets. Keep in mind, Tyrone used to be a PR guy for Nintendo.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:27:27 AM by googoogjoob » Logged
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 07:34:26 AM »

Bought it and played for a few hours.
My first impressions are frankly positive. The new hi res graphics look truly awesome, miles better than the originals. The new knytt stories-influenced soundtrack doesn't really appeal to me as I don't really think it fits the game at all but I guess that's subjective.
About the dialogue... I couldn't care less, really. I mean come on, if it's closer to what Pixel actually intended then I think that's an improvement. I don't give a flying fuck if they took a meme out of the game or not, I just want to play, that's the reason why I bought the game.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »

I'm finding it hard to see this from the die-hard fans point of view. Isn't the original game still freely available? Why would you buy a remake when you can just play the already perfect original. It's a remake of a game you consider to be perfect. By that logic a remake had only one way to go and that is down. Why did you all expect anything different? Now I could understand if it was a sequel and Nicalis had replaced the usual bad guys with russian communists.

JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »

Also, all the music was redone by Yann van der Cruyssen (Nurykabe). He's a pretty cool guy and he did a lot of music for Knytt Stories and then was like co-creator of Saira. His music is great, but I simply cannot see any of it fitting an action-oriented game like Cave Story.

Oh. That explains a lot then.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »

I'm finding it hard to see this from the die-hard fans point of view. Isn't the original game still freely available? Why would you buy a remake when you can just play the already perfect original. ...
Sure, but think of the potential new fans.  Why create a rift between them and the established fan community?  Especially if it's over something so superficial.

Also, the game is a remake, yeah, but it's still catering to (and pushed by) the existing fan base.  It has old graphics and sound switches, why not a dialog switch?  Probably simply 'cause no one noticed 'til now.  Perhaps it would have been better to go into full remake territory (with flashier effects, totally new music, animated cutscenes, whatever) rather than this hazy middle ground.

I really think Nicalis is acting like it's a big company that can afford to ignore fans' wishes and get away with vague release dates and be uncommunicative except with press outlets. ...
Isn't it, though?  Smiley

Still... I'm just happy to see this game released!  My wife hadn't even seen it before.  Pretty sweet.

MaloEspada
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »

I'm finding it hard to see this from the die-hard fans point of view. Isn't the original game still freely available? Why would you buy a remake when you can just play the already perfect original. It's a remake of a game you consider to be perfect. By that logic a remake had only one way to go and that is down. Why did you all expect anything different? Now I could understand if it was a sequel and Nicalis had replaced the usual bad guys with russian communists.

Dude, we didn't know about all these changes til like yesterday, the game's release date.

EDIT:
About Balrog's Huzzah, it was originally "Doryaa", which is kind of a battle cry. So it could mean "Huzzah" or whatever other thing. Still freaky how they changed the classic phrase to "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH".

source: GIRakaCheezer in nicalis forums
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:55:56 AM by rdein » Logged
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »

I'm finding it hard to see this from the die-hard fans point of view. Isn't the original game still freely available? Why would you buy a remake when you can just play the already perfect original. It's a remake of a game you consider to be perfect. By that logic a remake had only one way to go and that is down. Why did you all expect anything different?

I would (and will) buy because I want to support Cave Story and Pixel, for having created it in the first place. I don't think they shouldn't change anything, I just think they should keep a catchword already established among fans and do a decent work with the old sound. You may argue the change is only natural, but to keep the old catchword would show awareness and respect for the fanbase, which made it popular enough to create the possibility of a commercial remake. And there is no good excuse for the sound problems. I hope they patch at least the sound, if possible.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »

Yeah, I mean, the reason I'm mad is because I give the game a C+.  It's certainly not an F.  It's just, "here is the original game which you love.  Also we added a bunch of stuff you don't care about.  And it's $12."

I'm angry, not at the hackjob, but at the fact that this could keep people from giving money to Pixel.  I mean, let's face it.  This is WiiWare.  The ONLY people buying Cave Story are the people who already played it.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »

It may or may not be an interesting point, but as someone who only occasionally heard about news concerning Cave Story Wii and Night Sky, I did get quite a negative impression of Nicalis. I can't pinpoint any specific incident that made me think so, but rather quite a few little things, not all of which I remember. Music and sound effects being way off whenever the CS remake was shown early on (They were work-in-progress, but why would they even present them, unless they didn't understand that the sound wasn't good?); the thing about DeceasedCrab's videos someone mentioned; not allowing a pc version of Night Sky if I remember correctly; talking about plans for paid Cave Story DLC and seemingly being very untruthful about the reason for that (In that video a week ago. He said something like it wasn't appropriate to just port CS without adding some paid online stuff or so), and I think there was more.

Yes, I'm being vague, but the point is, I never got the idea that Nicalis are at all "simpatico", or positively "indie" for that matter. If that's truly the case, and if that's all that important or not, I don't know. But, at least I was disappointed by it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:06:38 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic