Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 10:52:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZero Gear - a multiplayer kart racing game
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Zero Gear - a multiplayer kart racing game  (Read 115176 times)
medieval
« Reply #240 on: August 24, 2008, 07:27:14 AM »

My computer is so not going to run this

Sad
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »

considering everything in that shot is done using simple fx that have been around for like 8 years, it might. This level might even run on a ps2 considering is just a vertex-lit low poly environment with some simple particles.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

i want to hug you. Sad

and do other things. Wink

but physical distance prevents me. Cry

as well as a restraining order. Lips Sealed

Kiss

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

I've been following this for a while now and damn is it awesome. So much of it is an inspiration to me :D It's all so polished. It would be cool to see it on a console too. Any chance of that?

Is there a public version of the map maker you guys are using? I'd love to have a shot at making some maps.

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »

the PC is just such a more friendly dev environment that we are only concentrating on that for now. If it makes sense later to do a console version then I am sure we will consider it.

We don't really have a map editing app right now, they are all modeled in max/maya/ 3d app of choice and then components are placed via an XML file. Eventually we will have an editor to make placing game entities much easier, but the levels will still be modeled in a 3d package.

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

Brian wrote a new blog post today titled "The Secret of Zero Gear". An excerpt -
I'll tell you a secret, Zero Gear is not a kart racing game."

in non-blog-posted news, I am currently polishing our 3 race tracks - Spaghetti West, Champion Circuit, and Chill Mountain. And hope to have some fly/drive through video of each of them soon.

Brian is toiling away on the race mode game rules and system, as well as tweaking some of the vehicle physics setup as we come to better grips with the different types of terrain people will run into.

*edit* finally got around to downloading some of the items other people have been making, here is a get-up made with some of them:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:40:53 PM by marshmonkey » Logged

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »

Lookin' good marshmonkey, lookin' real good Smiley

But please! some anti-aliasing?  It seems almost criminal not to!

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »

I will try to remember to turn on AA for all my shots just for you Grav.  Gentleman

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »

Good man.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »

baddcog over at polycount made a sweet low rider truck:

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »

As I have been promising for some time now we finally have a new video for everyone. This video showcases our initial 3 race maps that we are working hard to outfit with all the gameplay gears and gadgets that Brian is developing as we speak. These will be 3 of the 5 maps that we plan to have for our first beta release.

by the way, if you are interested in being in our initial beta, you might want to join our steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/zerogear

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

Fuck yeah, joined.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »

Joined fo'sho. The tracks look brilliant, but you do need a better driver for the camera  :D

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »

ahahahaha

I have no idea what you are talking about! the camera looks silky smooth to me!  Wink

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »

he probably means you should have a scripted path for the devcam instead of a player controlling it. [when doing trailers and such]
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »

yea, I know what he meant Smiley

You gotta do the best with what you have! I am sure we will have a scripted camera at some point, but not yet.

Corpus
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »

This continues to reach more and more ridiculous levels of polish and awesomeness.
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »

need some help / advice:

We will start closed beta testing very soon. We need to be able to support up to 16 players with a very low ping to the SF / Bay Area. A windows server is preferable, and the machine specs can be pretty mediocre as long as the connection is fast. Obviously we need to be able to remote into the machine in order to set up our game server. We would also potentially like to use the server for SVN.

Price: we are super cheap ramen-eating indie game devs, so we really don't have a lot to spend. We are hoping we can find something suitable under or around 100 bucks a month if possible. I have no experience renting servers so I have no idea if this sound like something reasonable. I would appreciate anyone's advice or guidance as well.

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »

2 new characters, Squiddles and The Brain:

*edit*
someone had a hat suggestion that would go well with the brain and I couldn't resist making it:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:14:25 PM by marshmonkey » Logged

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2008, 06:15:40 PM »

:/ hope I am not bumping too much... mods feel free to yell at me if I am. This is sort of a journal thread now.

we are having a lot of fun with the tag game mode in our playtests, but we only have one map for it. So I decided to whip up another quick one for fun. This one is called the Punch Bowl:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic