Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 04:53:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignYour MMORPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Your MMORPG  (Read 5375 times)
RCIX
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »

Actually, an MMO DOTA would be pretty cool. Advantages are that it already spends a ton of effort making sure that the characters and items are unique ^_^
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »

Basically the idea of Mortal Online. Low level/skill caps. Skill based combat. Build and craft a tonne of shit. PVP ANYTIME.

I'd also like well developed stealth/stealing mechanisms. I want to be able to steal from rich players in their own home and then escape, jumping from rooftop to rooftop and evading guards.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »

IMAGINE is pretty much my dream MMO.
It requires timing and skill to play well, not paying attention = death, the setting is strange and different than most, and it has a great amount of variety.
It's not perfect, but it's far more engaging than most MMOs and that's what sets it apart for me.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

I like Zelda, okay? Hand Shake LeftWho, Me?Hand Shake Right

Very interesting approach to a Zelda MMO. I've been fleshing out a Zelda MMO to help refine another design concept I've been stuck on. Said project is becoming too complex for my tastes and filtering it through Zelda's elegantly simple design has been a help.

I won't post the whole thing, but here's a few snippets;

Race:
Race is selected at the start of the game, and represents the visual parameters of a character as well as which special benefits they receive. There are three initial races, with three additional ‘expansion’ races planned. Each race receives one racial benefit that acts very similar to a tool, ability or Special Item and one racial benefit that resists a specific kind of damage. There are no additional benefits to one race or another, nor does the player’s race limit their selection of weapons, tools, or abilities.

Default Races: Human, Hylian, Kokiri
Expansion Races: Zora, Goron (Male only), Gerudo (Female only)

Abilities:
Abilities are a special game element that players utilize to defeat enemies, explore the game world, or customize the way their character handles various game features or mechanics. Each ability falls into one of three groups; Courage, Power or Wisdom. Via the Triforce gauge, players must select how many abilities from each group they wish to use; as they increase the number of one ability type, they reduce the number of abilities they can use from the other two. A maximum of 6 skills from any of the three groups can be utilized at once.

Example Power Abilities:
-Brutal Strike: A powerful blow that pushes enemies back and knocks them down.
-Leech: An attack that injures an enemy, transferring their life force to the player.
-Empowered Weapons: Weapons are enhanced with raw, untamed energy.

Example Courage Abilities:
-Dash Attack: Charge forward towards the enemy, knocking them down.
-Down Thrust: Slam down from mid-air, pushing away and injuring nearby enemies. Increased damage against knocked down foes.
-Energy Beam: When at full magic, attacks launch a small projectile.

Example Wisdom Abilities:
-Seal: Temporarily imprison foes in a crystal.
-Enchant: Weapons are empowered with magic for a set number of attacks.
-Flame: A radius of fire surrounds the player.

Tools:
Tools are special devices that players utilize to solve puzzles, defeat enemies or overcome obstacles. Players do not start with any tools, but will pick them up constantly as the game progresses. Up to three tools can be carried at a single time, with only one active. Some abilities allow for additional tools to be carried. Some tools have a magic cost to use, given in units. Tools cannot be destroyed.

Example Tools: Bow, Boomerang, Roc Feather, Pegasus Boots

Weapons:
Weapons are used by players to inflict damage upon enemies or interact with the environment. Players do not start with any weapon, but will acquire them by the end of the introductory quests. There are 6 different weapon sets that players can use, with each set having different strengths and weaknesses. Only one set of weapons can be carried at a time though some abilities allow players to carry additional sets.

Weapon Types: Sword & Shield, Staff/Greatsword, Whip, Hammer/Axe, Spear & Shield, Dual Swords.

Armor:
Armor items are used by players to reduce the amount of health lost when an enemy injures them. Players do not start with any armor, but will have the opportunity to acquire them by the end of the introductory quests. There are three different armor sets that players can use, with each set reducing the player’s Magic when equipped; the heavier the armor, the greater the reduction of the player’s Magic gauge.

Armor Types: Cloth, Leather, Mail

Seeds:
Seeds are special items that grant the player a temporary boost to a variety of different elements. Seeds are found scattered around the world and come in six different varieties. Players can carry up to 3 different seeds in their seed pouch, but some abilities or items can increase this amount. In order to receive the benefit of a seed item, the player must consume it, removing the seed from their inventory in the process. Players can only be under the effects of a single seed at any given time, but the effects are permanent until the player uses a different seed.

Seed Types: Armor, Energy, Life, Pegasus, Razor, Wisdom

Instruments:
Instruments are special items that allow players to not only produce music with other players, but to quickly travel between locations when the correct melody is played. Players will obtain an instrument (based on their selected race) at the end of the introductory quests, but can choose any instrument they like later.

Instruments: Cello, Conch Horn, Drum, Harp, Ocarina, Tambourine

Magic Mirror:
The Magic Mirror tool (unlocked at a certain point in the game) allows the player to take on the guise of an enemy race for special “Skirmishes”. These player-versus-player encounters assign one team as the monsters and one as the heroes; players can decide which team they have a preference for, but occasionally balance will require players be dropped into one or the other regardless of preference.

Players assigned to the “Monster” team take on the role of various enemy races. There is no direct correlation between heroic or monster races; player can choose which monster race they wish to play as via the Skirmish sub-menu. Players will also find a variety of customization options for each race in this same sub-menu.

Monster Races: Moblin, Wizzrobe, Miniblin
Expansion Monster Races: Darknut, Stalfos, Lizalfos

I'm not sure this would be my ideal MMO, but it's pretty close; no levels, no classes, no grinding, just skill-based exploration and personal achievement in a multiplayer environment. I would probably require content creation tools as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:31:58 AM by Retrogames » Logged

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »

Probably something that doesn't have to be so content-driven. League Of Legends sorta accomplishes that.
Seth
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »

Space Funeral or Earthbound MMO
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »

"Wakfu" is excellent i did some beta testing for it + played it at Comic Con, Dofus is sweet but I think Wakfu really tuned it up.

I used to be into the whole 3D world, micro-transaction MMOs like Flyff but I definetly think it's gameplay mechanics & systems that generally + great social environments that make it feel like your not pouring hours & hours into nothing.

Im waiting for the billion dollar baby known as The Old Republic (oh yea)

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »

Heh, I'm actually working on an MMO right now.  But I can't say more, thanks to the signing of certain documents.

It's...an interesting job.  It's certainly better than playing them (which I have done... extensively.  Yes, I'm one of those people.)

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »

as people have said, no grinding. it can work in a traditional rpg but in competition it just sucks out all the fun and skill. also, a ton of customization but without necessarily having any "advantages" to it. you could make your character a speedster but your defense might need to take a hit for it. some weapons might be harder to block but a bit slower. this way there would still be content and skills/spells to unlock but it wouldn't be a matter of how good your armour or whatever is, its just about how well suited to your items you are.

Lo
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »

Two things for the game mechanics:

Non A.I. NPCs: There should be hired and trained people controlling those guys. It's all about immersion.

Weapons controlled by mouse movements. Like, you swing your pointer to see the character swing his weapon. That would add some skill requirements on the player side, much more rewarding than character side requirements.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

An EarthBound MMO would be great  Grin Tongue

also, RetroGames the Zelda MMO design is pretty descent

i imagine it using the Link to the Past ofcourse ( Tongue) or maybe the Minish Cap direction to give fans the old Zelda  -junkie feel. Parties will generally be programmed like Four Swords where dungeon raids consist of dungeons only accessible by the number of people you have on your team.

the instrument idea is neat too, i was designing a remake to Link's Awakening a few months back & tried to really up the anti on the importance of the instruments in the storyline.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »

Mine would include dungeons which have puzzels/obcticles tahtsare solved based on how you created your character for example: "this wall looks weak" so you have the heavy/strong character charges through it because making your character real fat or making him strong and lots of heavy armor will allow him to charge into people with a lot of force.

or things like "this hole is too small" or "man.. that shelf is really high"

also old rope bridges if you have a really heavy guy he has to go last/first because if everyone tries to cross at once it breaks or something

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

Two words: Battle Royale.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »

Mud 2 with randomization and sci-fi. Have ideas, but don't think I'll ever get to it :S http://www.mudii.co.uk/

destiny is truth pre-op
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »

I wanted to make a game that ditches the leveling mechanic for character power levels, similar to most tabletop RPG systems. When in the level '100' area you get 100 points to distribute to buy skills, attacks, powers, etc. In the level '200' area you get 200 points to do the same. Rather than emphasizing grinding for stats, the player is encouraged to experiment with different builds for different challenges and situations. Pre-made builds are included for players who want to jump directly into the action.

I also want to make an MMO-style game that is played in month-long chapters. Like, Chapter 1 has you doing quests in your idyllic home town, filled with adventurers. Halfway through that first month, the enemy forces appear and start sieging the town. New appropriate quests appear, and maybe the players vote together on how to deal with the situation (Do they set an elaborate trap in town to defeat the enemies, or mount a wild offensive?). The last week of the game culminates in an event to do the thing the players chose, defeat the foes, and end the chapter (you'd probably run the event two or three times to catch people who miss the first time). At the end of the month, Chapter 1 ends and Chapter 2 begins. The players all find themselves in a new place, perhaps hunting the enemy forces, perhaps looking for a new home.

The idea would be to plan the game out in advance to have 8-10 chapters, and focus heavily on player driven story. Even if the choices are black and white pick x or y, let the player base decide how elements play out. Try to make it feel like a tabletop RPG that has a finite campaign.

An existing MMO engine could be used for such a game.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »

Launch ultima online, evolving more towards larger, more open worlds instead of the direction it went (closed world, itemization, rules that restrict the players actions).  I dislike MMO's that use classes and levels, I much preferred it's system of simply...use a sword, get better using swords. You basically start with no skills and choose what you want to do by simply doing it.

Another thing from old UO that really made the game, that I'd love to see in more MMO's, is story arcs, where stories play out while you're playing the game, and live GM's "possess" the npc's and actually act out the parts for the players.

Take that idea, expand to larger towns, larger world, remove the restrictions it had due to the fact that it launched in 1997 (server lines, grid movement, etc) and you have the core to a game I would have to just give direct access to my checking account....

-Fuzzy Spider
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »

I'd say a Metroidvania MMO would be wonderful.  You start out with nothing, in an area with little player communication.  It would be an experience full of platforming, exploring, and collecting items to improve different aspects of your character (Jump height, health, wall jumping, etc), and gradually begin to encounter other characters as you make your way further and further from the beginning of the game.  As you find these other player characters, you can cooperate with them to obtain items, using them to give you a boost up to a normally unreachable area, using his superior climbing ability to activate a bridge to get the both of you across, etc.  Really, I'd just see it as a game without any given goal but to explore the world around you, find out the history of it through the atmosphere, and uncover civilizations once lost.

A key would be the ability to switch to a private of the game while in a group, giving the world a little bit more isolated feel, and having to cooperate to get around.  An enormous world would also be important, and a good matchmaking system would be nice too (to pair people with similar acquired skills together), but I've really always wanted something like this before.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »

Heh, I'm actually working on an MMO right now.  But I can't say more, thanks to the signing of certain documents.

It's...an interesting job.  It's certainly better than playing them (which I have done... extensively.  Yes, I'm one of those people.)

What up MMO dev buddy. Yes, it's more fun to develop than play.

PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »

Lots of servers/rooms and only 50 people per server.

A large maze-like world in ruins, much like an updated Zelda 1 or Shadow of Colossus.

Point based Bomberman gameplay, you score points for beating up enemies and other players.

Dying is not important, it would just take points off you and teleport you to a safe spot.

Points let you buy items, build a home base and even change the environment (plant trees, build dams).

After a year every server would be different.

Oh and everyone looks like a cross between Samus Aran and Exile guy, but in Wind Waker graphics.  Well, hello there!

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »

One's already been made: PlanetSide.

QFT. Then they ruined it.

I'd love to see another take at a planetside-type game. I had so much fun with that on launch, but it got worse and worse as time went on. As soon as they added their first expansion I was out. Sad

Was rank 50 on the server or something according to that 'dice' ranking server thing. Originally played on Johari, which was merged into Markov, which was merged into something else. Tongue Name was Kibble.

I was such a good reaver pilot. Sad You're making me all nostalgic!

Anyway, as for the original topic...

I'd like another MMOFPS to sink my teeth into involving vehiclular combat (like planetside/battlefield). I'd like to see some kind of economy built in though, so people can't just spam whatever vehicles they want and to put some importance on looting enemies and being careful with their lives. I guess a more serious or meaningful Planetside? I always liked the 'ANT' mechanic they had for fuelling bases, maybe more of that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:50:01 PM by kavs » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic