Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412012 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Gods Of Fire

July 03, 2024, 02:08:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1633
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7356771 times)
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »

I read some pixel art tutorials and downloaded graphics gale and messed around a bit today.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »

Now, a game looking like that would be quite awesome.

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »

I didn't actually go with color limits, but I thought the limited palette would give it a certain flair. The way I understand it(I'm totally not sure), each sprite is allowed three colors- and some may appear to have more because they are actually more than one sprite stacked on top of eachother, on different layers. I think that's the case with the NES Megaman sprite.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I don't personally feel that strict palette limitations are necessarily useful. I understand that some retro-game artists could probably spot when you are using an extra colour, but elevating colour usage to the level of a religious observance is going to be lost on most people.

That said, colour consistency is still a must in video game sprites, and that's not necessarily a bad way of policing yourself. But, basically, I wouldn't lose sleep over a little violation here or there so long as it's in good taste.

I agree, moreover, if you look at games from the player's perspective, all that's  important is what is perceived. Hence going a few colors overboard will not destroy the overall illusion of a limited color palette. The player will still feel like he's playing a game designed for an old console with colors you could count with your extended families fingers and toes.

Now, a game looking like that would be quite awesome.

Maybe I'll do just that.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »

It's like it's scribbled on a post-it note!

cag
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »

bla. mockup for a game I may or may not be working on.
Wink
Toom
Level 3

You have to tell me if you're a cop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: January 01, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

Cripes, there's some pretty intimitading quality spritework on these boards...maybe that's why I put off signing up for (I think three?) years.

This is the last bit of pixel art I did:

It's based on a sculpture on of my friends made when we were at university.

Edit: here's some older stuff.

A few strips from a short-lived webcomic I tried to get going towards the end of 2006, for a university project; I'm still pleased with a lot of the art, but I never got into the writing or the format (these were originally intended for mobile phone screens, hence the awkward vertical layout) and it fell apart after like fifteen strips. Rubbish!

A couple of interior pages from Metal and Spite, a print comic I made around the same time, featuring characters from my old webcomic, Dave Will Never Be King. I'm currently putting together a second issue for the UK Web and Minicomic Thing, which I'll be tabling at with some friends for the third year running. These pages, by the way, have since been completely re-lettered in a less horrible font, and the dialogue tweaked up a bit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:27:01 PM by Toom » Logged

I'm gonna beat yer ass wit dis moon tree!
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »

psht toom, your stuff looks great Smiley.

Come to think of it, I think I put off signing up for 2 years myself but that's mostly because I didn't decide on developing games until just a few weeks ago.
im9today
« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2008, 05:04:04 AM »

Some assorted unfinished junk:

On the last one sheldon did the guy on the lower left.
It was going to be an elaborate prank but it got boring

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »

nice stuff im9. How is that Dash'n'Mash game coming along?

Some very retro style mockups in 6bit colour for something that might or might not happen

EDIT:
Updated some stuff, better palette and such and BOOOOSSSS!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:46:08 PM by ptoing » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »

zomg boss is boss.
Those enemies are cool. Like, not quite organic but hardly mechanical.

im9, do want to fight the crystal giant.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »

here is my first real attempt at Pixel art:

C&C requested.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »

Do not save as jpeg!
Dithering makes hair look like wool!
Very little form on the face and it doesn't have a defined lightsource, really.
Other than that, good!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

I was going to mess with some people with this "mysterious Metroid DS game". I am a giant fan of Metroid Fusion and I think that ended up making this not exactly look like a new Metroid but rather some reworked graphics from Fusion, but I did make all the graphics without reference... but at the same time Metroid has been my inspiration for any mechanical tilesets.

Since no one would buy this as being a new Metroid I'll post it here for some feedback. I want to get something out of my wasted time!  Cry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:32:14 PM by konjak » Logged
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:36 AM »

Very stylish DS-mockup! A bit too much purple around there for my taste maybe. I like that metal-head of this giant-robot! And the background! If you really have done this without reference, then well done! (You don't want to design a metroid-like game with me, eh?) Wink

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:16 AM »

I like pupple... Sad
Also, I personally WISHED the next Metroid looked like Fusion. The backgrounds in Zero Mission were pretty boring.

(Metroid-style games are fun (and hard to make!), but I need time for my own stuff.)

EDIT: Oh, and I did use a reference for the robot head; didn't remember all the details of Chozo statues.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:17:22 AM by konjak » Logged
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

I feel a little shy posting my stuff here since it has absolutely nothing on all your work but it's a start and it's the first time my sprites aren't ripped from somewhere, stripped to the bone, and rebuilt to made them look like my own. Every pixel for these were placed by me.  Cool

This one is supposed to be a turret mounted on a track. Though it looks like a tank it's much smaller. I'll need to lighten up the green because there isn't enough contrast between the track and the green area.

This one is a boss robot. He is a MASSIVE 64x64 px in size (hehe). I'd like to give it the effect that the middle part of his torso is higher up but I'm not sure how just yet. In the game there will be four turrets one mounted on every corner

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »

Woah, and that's scratch? I think you captured the style of the game really well.

Also, I thought there were plans for another Metroid side-scroller, but I guess not...
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »

Thanks!

I read "Dread" was ever only fan fabrication...
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »

Microsoft Excel FTW!

(also I urge you to make a really low-res tetris please)

Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

(also I urge you to make a really low-res tetris please)
There you are!
http://rapidshare.de/files/38391708/tris.zip.html
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1633
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic