Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411856 Posts in 69423 Topics- by 58467 Members - Latest Member: joelmendonca

June 03, 2024, 02:50:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51967 times)
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2015, 07:29:21 PM »

Undertale has similar concept that I had with my Scrapped action rpg project.. You can play the game with Three routes... One route leads you to be bad  guy and second route would made you good guy and third one was neutral....I tried scrap every typical jrpg thing and make something fresh......Sadly the game was too big for me to handle alone but it was one of my dream game....

The battle system was fresh and unique but I personally didn't like it that much.... I liked that there was choices but the bulled thing just killed it for me.. Very repetitive with lots of variety of dodging things.. Mario&Luigi battle system mixed with "ACT" and "Mercy" would be much better...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:47:15 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »

Do you guys have an idea why the kickstarter was such a huge success? I mean on first sight undertale looks like crappy 8bit furry fanfiction. And I wouldn't bother to give a kickstarter like that a second look. I really wonder how it was such a success, giving it was funded mid 2014 when there was uproar about kickstarter scams and cheap hobbyist projects all over the place.

I only really played it because it gained so much popularity. After playing it, I get why undertale has this fanbase; I enjoyed playing it, too. And I really grew to like the artstyle after giving the game a few minutes. But I really wonder how a game like undertale was able to grab the attention of people before it got huge.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »

Do you guys have an idea why the kickstarter was such a huge success? I mean on first sight undertale looks like crappy 8bit furry fanfiction. And I wouldn't bother to give a kickstarter like that a second look. I really wonder how it was such a success, giving it was funded mid 2014 when there was uproar about kickstarter scams and cheap hobbyist projects all over the place.

I only really played it because it gained so much popularity. After playing it, I get why undertale has this fanbase; I enjoyed playing it, too. And I really grew to like the artstyle after giving the game a few minutes. But I really wonder how a game like undertale was able to grab the attention of people before it got huge.
I think the first part of the finished game was avaible as a playable demo of sorts and generated huge buzz with tons of writeups and glowing praise.

Basically word of mouth and press coverage, if I remember right.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:25 AM »

and soundtrack

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »

isn't it also somehow connected to homestuck? which I try to know nothing about but I understand is about as potent as touhou in terms of fan mobilization

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »

isn't it also somehow connected to homestuck? which I try to know nothing about but I understand is about as potent as touhou in terms of fan mobilization

the developer did some music for homestuck apparently
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »

One of the tracks Toby used for Undertale also appeared in Homestuck. It's actually even older than that, originally composed for his Earthbound ROM hack. So it has become something of a signature piece for Toby Fox.

http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/MEGALOVANIA

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

isn't it also somehow connected to homestuck?
basically a semi shared fanbase due to toby fox leading a lot of albums and shit for homestuck, and a similar tone. no lore connections or whatevs tho

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »

Megalovania for those curious :D

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »

Dragonmaw
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »

https://twitter.com/tegiminis/status/684828838463799296
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »

Do you guys have an idea why the kickstarter was such a huge success?

I didn't donate myself but I know it was because of the demo. I heard people talking about it on Starmen.net and tried it without expecting much, but was thoroughly surprised. The first encounter with Flowey was really disturbing, I fell in love with the enemy designs and I remember crying after accidentally killing Toriel.

Prior to that I had never cried at a videogame so I eagerly anticipated the full game. Oh, and I had no idea who Toby Fox was and immensely disliked Homestuck. I had previously tried reading it and got several thousand pages in before abandoning all hope of understanding the plot. It was just way too complicated to elicit any kind of emotional response from me.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »

I'm so sorry everyone

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:22 AM »

I think the kickstarter project was success because of Homestuck fanbase. Toby Fox has been working on Homestuck by creating music and something else. If u read the backer comment you see a lot of homestuck comments there... Also I heard Toby fox created this game in house of Homestuck creator... The homestuck fanbase are huge and crazy.. That what I have heard about from people...
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

What the fuck flowey???

Edit: For clarification, I just finished the neutral run (my first run) and this game is absolutely bonkers. But, knowing that games this good exist in this world, it fills me with determination.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:56:06 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »

Am I the only one that didn't kill toriel?!

I didn't either.

There's a froggit in the ruins that gives a not so subtle hint about how to spare her.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2016, 05:04:38 PM »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:17:11 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2016, 05:11:47 PM »

she's telling a TALE in a language i can't UNDERstand, that's for sure.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »

oups bad , now corrected, likes and comment, I hope you like salt

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »

The Best Gamers posted an opinion about undertale - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so68ou

I disagree with most of what they said but it's refreshing to see a differing viewpoint.

Also tbh it's kinda hilarious that the only thing they don't complain about in this post is the soundtrack which is the one part that Silbereisen criticized the most.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic