Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Unity3D Indie is now FREE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D Indie is now FREE  (Read 9368 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 08:50:28 AM »

a very interesting development indeed...
Wizard
the programmer liked it, and the wizard liked it, but my hard-boiled detective senses smelled a rat Noir

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »

wat?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »

Paul Eres will not be fooled into what surely is a clever trap by the Unity developers.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:13 AM »

no, i think it's a good move by them. i'm just concerned about all the people who are constantly learning new engines, new platforms, new technologies, and never finishing games. this seems like it'll be learned by 10,000 people, cancelling their 10,000 game projects; and before they finish a game in unity they'll cancel it and learn irrlicht or pygame or whatever other buzzword or new technology appears. learning new game engines is usually the worst thing you can do for productivity

summary: while there's a lot of potential for great games there's also a lot of potential that the excitement over this will cause even more people to never finish games, so i see it as a bit two-sided

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »

I, for one, am not actually going to try Unity until my current project is done. Except maybe for Assemblee Phase 2.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »

I plan on downloading the heck out of this! Put my C# skills to good use.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »

Yeah, this is amazing. I am also not going to mess with my current (repeatedly delayed) project, but I might try and muck about with some prototypes.

The extra platforms supported and the SVN/Perforce and Visual Studio integration sound amazing too, although will surely only be in the Pro version.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or articles with a "Unity for programmers"? I had a play with the trial months ago and found it OK, but a bit disorientating, as with any other product that isn't a bunch of text files, some libraries and a directory of resource files  Durr...?

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »

There's a mild catch: If you make more than $100k in the year, you must pay for Unity pro... which of course you wouldn't mind paying $1500because YOU MADE 100 000 DOLLARS.

But as Paul Eres said, I hope people don't bail on projects just because they got hooked up in an easier dope...err... library.

Working on HeliBrawl
increpare
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »

learning new game engines is usually the worst thing you can do for productivity
It works okay for me, I've found.  I decided to try out flixel on saturday and had a new game made by...saturday evening.  What's more than that, it was quite refreshing and invigorating.  I'd like to give unity a try, but it's probably not going to be for a while.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

Unity generally makes game development so much easier and faster (once you get how it works), that it may be worth learning now and switching your project over.

It really depends on your project though. If you're doing a game with retro-ish 2D graphics, don't bother.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »

I was going to buy this next week anyway, so this is awesome news for me.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »

I wish more middleware had this sort of strategy. Free unless you actually make monies? Fantastic.

I'm currently using FMOD for sound, and apparently if you get it on any sort of digital distribution system you have to pay the full price? So it's bam, $3000, just for sound and not knowing if you're going to make any of that back? Your game also can't sell for more than $20 either.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:41:44 PM by Sifu Peng » Logged

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »

no, i think it's a good move by them. i'm just concerned about all the people who are constantly learning new engines, new platforms, new technologies, and never finishing games. this seems like it'll be learned by 10,000 people, cancelling their 10,000 game projects; and before they finish a game in unity they'll cancel it and learn irrlicht or pygame or whatever other buzzword or new technology appears. learning new game engines is usually the worst thing you can do for productivity

summary: while there's a lot of potential for great games there's also a lot of potential that the excitement over this will cause even more people to never finish games, so i see it as a bit two-sided

This is completely true and not said enough. Sometimes it's more fun to work with something new and exciting than to actually finish your game.

I'm still gonna mess around in Unity though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:18:39 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »

I wish more middleware had this sort of strategy. Free unless you actually make monies? Fantastic.

I'm currently using FMOD for sound, and apparently if you get it on any sort of digital distribution system you have to pay the full price? So it's bam, $3000, just for sound and not knowing if you're going to make any of that back? Your game also can't sell for more than $20 either.

i also use fmod and am considering using bass or something instead for that reason; i just bought the $100 'shareware' license because i don't sell games for more than $20 and because i doubt any digital distribution service will want SD; if they do though it'd be trivial to port it to a different sound engine like bass or even good old supersound

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

I was going to collect money and buy the pro version, so this is a really good news :D

Now, if someone could make a tutorial on how to use it... My Word!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »

There's a pretty comprehensive tutorial that comes with it, but there are several cases where they just 'hand-wave' and say "Drop this script into this prefab and, hey presto, you can magically control your dude! Hope you didn't want to learn how to do that yourself!"

However, there are also Community Tutorials

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »

Sweet I just downloaded it now, should be a bit of fun to have a look at
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »

Well, there is a bunch of pod/screencasts that deal with moving from developing in Flash to developing in Unity.

http://ethicalgames.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/unity-for-flash-developers-tutorial-1/
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »

Obviously changing engine casually isn't a good idea, especially if you're midway through a project.  Duke Nukem Forever seemed to change engine every couple of years!

twitter: @docky
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »

holy shit

Pretty much this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic