Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 09:55:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2332449 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21260 on: May 22, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »

Since when are manners unavailable for criticism in schools?

Pfotegeist
« Reply #21261 on: May 22, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

Since when are manners unavailable for criticism in schools?

I couldn't give an in-school example because it's been so long. I can tell you that select people think a right to free speech means they can literally say anything they want, until they realize they will get in even bigger trouble than it's worth.  It has something to do with that.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21262 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »

I was just thinking schools do tend to have consequences for misbehaving pupils (detentions and whatnot). Were you talking about something else?

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21263 on: May 23, 2015, 02:33:52 AM »

This put a huge smile on my face. Well done, Ireland!

Ireland same-sex referendum: Vote counting begins

[..]If the change is approved, the Republic of Ireland would become the first country to legalise same-sex marriage through a popular vote.

Minister for Equality Aodhan O Riordain said on Twitter: "I'm calling it. Key boxes opened. It's a yes. And a landslide across Dublin. And I'm so proud to be Irish today."

Minister for Health Leo Varadkar, who earlier this year came out as the Republic of Ireland's first openly gay minister, said the campaign had been "almost like a social revolution".

Speaking from the Dublin count, he told Irish broadcaster RTE that it appeared about 75% of votes being counted there were in favour of legalising same-sex marriage.

Some prominent "no" campaigners have already conceded defeat.

David Quinn of the Iona Institute, a Catholic group, said it was "obviously a very impressive victory for the 'yes' side".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32856232

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21264 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:34 AM »

Good, progress, but still ridiculous to hold a vote, allowing others to decide the fate of lives that they have nothing to do with or will in no way get affected by.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21265 on: May 23, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »

The alternative was politicians deciding about it, which is even more of a case of "stranger gets to decide their fate" kind of thing.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21266 on: May 23, 2015, 03:55:15 AM »

I was thinking they just do it without even discussing it, because, y'know, it's not a matter of democracy, but of basic human rights. Roll Eyes

But yeah, I know that's not what the "political" (bigoted) climate looks like.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21267 on: May 23, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »

Good, progress, but still ridiculous to hold a vote, allowing others to decide the fate of lives that they have nothing to do with or will in no way get affected by.

tru
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #21268 on: May 23, 2015, 06:32:39 AM »

There is no such thing as a human right unless we gather around the campfire and declare it to be so. There was a time when the strong abused the weak and everyone accepted it. Now we have rules, but only the rules we can negotiate and enforce. We're suckers to think otherwise.

Also, I've been saying "faith and begorrah" in a really flaming, "come-on 1970s sailor" queeney voice all morning and am seriously amusing myself. Now if they can just get around to legalizing reproductive rights for women, I'll be proud to be a son of the emerald isle.
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21269 on: May 23, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »

Joined reddit yesterday (_NoOneSpecial for anyone who's interested Tongue)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21270 on: May 23, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »

my perspective is: it should be a human right according to the moral standard  we have determined as a society and the only reason it isnt is culturally ingrained bigotry.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #21271 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »

I was just thinking schools do tend to have consequences for misbehaving pupils (detentions and whatnot). Were you talking about something else?

Something else.

Ok, I think I figured out how to explain it.

Before manners can be criticized, it is necessary to address someone's logic.  I can tell you that from K-5, my school did not have the faculty of logic. Neither conveyed nor employed.  The kids couldn't learn how to follow the rules and the older people couldn't stop treating younger people like sub-humans.
JWK5
« Reply #21272 on: May 23, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »

The problem with human rights is to be given rights by another (or other) human being(s) means you are their captive and they've denied you freedom. Under those terms it shouldn't be too shocking that we are only scraping away at the mountain of oppression sitting on top of us all. Our system is still geared towards facilitating the rich living long and comfortable at the expense of the poor, and geared towards facilitating narcissists to live out their power fantasies with the lives of nations. We're not a free society, we are a society of captives in most cases pleading for mercy and privileges. We work hard to create the illusion that this is not the case, but that doesn't mean it still isn't. Most of us are pets and animal labor, fed our daily ration of entertainment and consumerism.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21273 on: May 23, 2015, 07:39:35 AM »

This remind me of this analysis
https://storify.com/donnie_is_ok/gamergate-chan-culture-and-identity

But that's basically animal farm at that point.

It simple they pit people against people so you don't have unify.

Rich white people pitted poor white vs poor black by offering slight privilege to poor white and poor white acted against the poor black and the balance was kept it check.
The same with woman ...

Class social works by dividing abitrary line across that serve the power in place.

JWK5
« Reply #21274 on: May 23, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »

It's divide and rule.

Elements of this technique involve:

*creating or encouraging divisions among the subjects to prevent alliances that could challenge the sovereign
*aiding and promoting those who are willing to cooperate with the sovereign
*fostering distrust and enmity between local rulers
*encouraging meaningless expenditures that reduce the capability for political and military spending

The entertainment industry does wonders for that last one.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21275 on: May 23, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »

http://procedural-generation.tumblr.com/post/119412835232/algopop-prostheticknowledge-novice-art

Procedurally created critics ... what has the world become?

also

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/21/best-procedural-generation-2014-secret-habitat/

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21276 on: May 23, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »

I know the word is quite overused but "pretentious" wouldn't fit in badly here. Then again we are talking about self-proclaimed art games, trying to derive from from the arthouse film movement? Not really getting there yet if you ask me.
I might as well be staring at white noise if I wanted this kind of procedural generation.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21277 on: May 23, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »

More like experimentation, the first game is playing with deep learning image recognition so it's playful with the culture of art appreciation, but it tells more about the limit of algorytm than being pretentious.

The second was made during the procedural generation Jam, so it explore algorythm as artist, each floor showcase a "new artist" ie a new algorytm, and tells something about sameness and cohesion of algorytm perceive as "creative". The whole game is procedural, the exposition's building plan and visual down to wallpaper use in exposition. So it's an exploration of procedural creativity using the visual metaphore of place that is about creativity ... I wouldn't call it pretentious in any way once you get what it is. It's not pretending, it's exploring and presenting an idea. Ie the implication of creativity by the machine, and what does it tells us about creativity at large and maybe our humanity (if the machine can be creative, what does it tells us about our uniqueness).

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21278 on: May 24, 2015, 03:12:12 AM »

I admit that I haven't explored the area much so there's a huge chance that I'm not getting it. It's just that these kinds of experimental projects are always hugely underpolished. There's probably a point, after being around game dev for a long time, when you start seeing more in these kinds of things than I currently do, which is probably still surface level.

It's just that in my eyes, slapping "art game" on everything that's remotely experimental (and let's be honest, isn't that visually appealing most of the time) isn't the right way to go. Being cynical is probably not the answer, but I always get the feeling that these types of projects try to seem more than what they actually are.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21279 on: May 24, 2015, 03:53:50 AM »

Wondering how much this represents USA in total:

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic