Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:51:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80717 times)
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: November 28, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »

Played survival for an hour today, died three times and never got to my ship.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »

hardcore
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 01, 2016, 06:26:59 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5fm2i2/no_mans_sky_is_the_1_seller_on_gog_and_2_on_steam/

I gotta admit that surprises me a bit, but I guess with the update and sale price and whatnot, people are jumping in.
Oh, and in case you want proof or whatnot, Steam and I don't know of a direct link to GOG sales other than looking at popular over on the side.
Edit: These are live figures so they're subject to move a little. NMS is currently showing as #3 on Steam but it was #2 when I made the topic. Oh, and it's #3 in the Humble store as well.

It has reach 1st on steam at some point

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5fypjx/no_mans_sky_1_on_the_top_sellers_list/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 01, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »

o
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 01, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »

totally no man's sky

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: December 02, 2016, 01:01:13 PM »

I've been playing the Foundation Update a lot since it came out, I really like the survival mode. The base building and the freighters seem like an exciting addition, but I am more interested in the difficulty tweaks for now, from a game design perspective:

Its interesting how some simple number-based tweaks can have such a profound effect on the feel of the game. It seems as though the difficulty of the game has passed a certain threshold where it forces you to have purpose whenever you are exploring a planet, that makes it no longer feel quite like you are merely wandering around.
It is still the same game, with more or less all the same systems, but there is a scarcity to a lot of the games' resources now that there really wasn't before, that gives you these clear and important priorities whenever you explore.

One example is, lifting off with your ship costs a ridiculous 200 plutonium now. I think it costs 50 in the original game mode, maybe less. This is just a tweak with numbers, but it has a profound effect on your exploration! Now, whenever you land, you always have that one clear priority in mind, to find plutonium deposits. You always worry a little about being stranded on a planet if you cant find enough to liftoff again. Its a high enough cost that stocking up on it would take too much room on your ship, so you mostly rely on finding more on-location. This means that no matter the context, whenever you land, you have this one side-objective automatically appended to whatever you were already landing for, and always feel a bit unsafe when your plutonium stockpile is running low.

Another example, it seems like there are no safe planets whatsoever in survival mode. Every planet has at least some kind of danger, be it high temperature during the day, cold temperatures at night, toxic rain, radiation level, hostile sentinels- Every planet is now hostile in some way, and resources you can use to recharge your hazard protection are much more rare than before. This means that every time you are out exploring, it feels like you are holding your breath until you are back to the safety of your ship, and resources no longer feel like they are just "free" and up for grabs, just costing you in time. This introduces actual decision-making and risk assessment into your exploring, where there was very very little before.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 02, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »

It's worth noting that the first "leaked" vanilla 1.00 version is also equally different in gameplay, you must pay resources to pay for interaction like watching encyclopedia or having a multitools.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 02, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

remember

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 02, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

People are freaking out as they discover proof it wasn't a skybox all along!
http://imgur.com/a/HXuSb
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5g5gxx/constellation_visible_in_the_galactic_map_also/
https://twitter.com/elca_yt/status/804814324359368704
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225872678&postcount=8501
So someone matched up a star constellation on the galaxy map with a constellation seen from within a star system. No lie confirmed.

Also this guy found candyland

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5g4svt/candyland_literally_the_first_thing_i_see_as_i/

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »

Mod support coming

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5g3wz2/psa_mods_are_supported_by_hg/
To prevent players with mods installed from having their game break each time we update, we have introduced a new method for mod installation. For details please see the DISABLEMODS.TXT file in the \GAMEDATA\PCBANKS folder.

If this file exists, no mod banks will be loaded. If you are modding the game, please don't modify any of the bank files in the folder this file lives in (PCBANKS). These are the banks No Man's Sky ships with, and modifying them makes it impossible for the game to detect if you have a corrupted installation. Any mod banks should go into a subfolder of PCBANKS, called MODS. All banks in MODS will be mounted when the game starts up. Banks in the MODS folder are loaded additively, over the top of the banks shipped in No Man's Sky, and given priority over the shipping files. This allows a mod bank to replace any files in the shipping game, or add new ones.

edit:

Someone did a timelapse and ...

Works in the original

procedural nsfw
http://i.imgur.com/kOAmyPE.jpg
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:48:41 PM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 02, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »

how do they handle survival mode with the shared universe? do survival players play in a different universe? or are the planets the same but their contents somewhat different?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 02, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »

exact same apparently, also same sun distribution than previous update

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »

Clear from false advertising, hidden features? Procedural generation!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 03, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »

I still don't get why people thought it was going to be a multiplayer game. They said multiple times before release that it would be singleplayer. people who preordered because of the "misleading" interview could have canceled their preorder at that point (not to mention that it's dumb to preorder in the first place).
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: December 03, 2016, 07:07:13 AM »

More like No Man's LIE! >:(

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »

More like No Man's LIE! Angry
I swear people who started this joke didn't thought it through lol

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 03, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »

I still don't get why people thought it was going to be a multiplayer game. They said multiple times before release that it would be singleplayer. people who preordered because of the "misleading" interview could have canceled their preorder at that point (not to mention that it's dumb to preorder in the first place).
imo it's because of steam openworld-survival game playerbase who just assumed it was a multiplayer game.
When you've been used to only multiplayer game available in this category, you're not going to check if it's multiplayer or not, the concept of a non multiplayer openworld game in 2016 seems unconceivable.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 03, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »

doesnt make them any less dumb
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »

BY the way the update had instantly sanitized the reddit from shitposting, that was an amazing sight to behold

image tax:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:06:20 PM by gimymblert » Logged

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 03, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »

I've been playing the Foundation Update a lot since it came out, I really like the survival mode. The base building and the freighters seem like an exciting addition, but I am more interested in the difficulty tweaks for now, from a game design perspective:

Its interesting how some simple number-based tweaks can have such a profound effect on the feel of the game. It seems as though the difficulty of the game has passed a certain threshold where it forces you to have purpose whenever you are exploring a planet, that makes it no longer feel quite like you are merely wandering around.
It is still the same game, with more or less all the same systems, but there is a scarcity to a lot of the games' resources now that there really wasn't before, that gives you these clear and important priorities whenever you explore.

One example is, lifting off with your ship costs a ridiculous 200 plutonium now. I think it costs 50 in the original game mode, maybe less. This is just a tweak with numbers, but it has a profound effect on your exploration! Now, whenever you land, you always have that one clear priority in mind, to find plutonium deposits. You always worry a little about being stranded on a planet if you cant find enough to liftoff again. Its a high enough cost that stocking up on it would take too much room on your ship, so you mostly rely on finding more on-location. This means that no matter the context, whenever you land, you have this one side-objective automatically appended to whatever you were already landing for, and always feel a bit unsafe when your plutonium stockpile is running low.

Another example, it seems like there are no safe planets whatsoever in survival mode. Every planet has at least some kind of danger, be it high temperature during the day, cold temperatures at night, toxic rain, radiation level, hostile sentinels- Every planet is now hostile in some way, and resources you can use to recharge your hazard protection are much more rare than before. This means that every time you are out exploring, it feels like you are holding your breath until you are back to the safety of your ship, and resources no longer feel like they are just "free" and up for grabs, just costing you in time. This introduces actual decision-making and risk assessment into your exploring, where there was very very little before.

A tip: býpass chips still cost almost nothing, so the strategy of landing near one of those red things that allow to summon your ship saves you a ton of plutonium. This was true in the original but its even more important now in survival mode.

But now theres an object that you can build and allows you to search for structures. You can search for "colonial outposts" and you'll probably find bases with that red mini-tower. Their buildings will also protect you from hazards.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic