Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:27:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicRogue - New Build - July 11th
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue - New Build - July 11th  (Read 78308 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

about half way through the floor loading system now. when I get done, floors will be generated and stored data wise to allow the player to go up and down persistent floors. Also I devised a quest system allowing the player to set a goal before entering the dungeon. this allows the player to make the game as hard or as easy as they want.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

I worked on this last night.

I added in money as a sort of score system (more on that later). on killing an enemy there is a small chance to find gold, it comes in 3 tiers at the moment. +1, +3, and +5. I also added in the new notification system. so you can see the 3 different tiers of cash above the players head. and above the enemy you can see a chest. there are two types of chests the brown and the red. the brown gives a okay chance to get all 3 tiers, but the red gives a much better chance to get the higher tiers, although I will probably switch it from a red to a gold chest. I am also going to try adding money sacks. they will always give +1. do the 3 icons make sense? Its a 5x5 grid and first I had a crown as the 3rd one. I might switch back to it. (or make the crown the fabled 4th money drop. worth a lot)

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »

I like it! The graphics look really nice as well Jason.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »

I'm liking it and thinking they work. So it's a coin, necklace and jewel? if it is then they work. Also like the idea because it gives you an incentive to attack rather then skip enemies.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »

another update

reworked the necklace and a tiny change to the jewel. added a forth really rare treasure. plus a door and two chests and the last bubble is a key. wondering if it reads. I think the horizontal key looks better then the vertical one.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »

Yeah think they look great and read well. Am assuming the fourth rare treasure is a Chalice

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

yep, its a chalice.

the keys will unlock those doors, and the doors will always have special rooms in them. one of the ideas I had will be the dragon horde. the dragon will be sleeping on a pile of gold with a bar above his head. you can leave or steal a treasure. each time you take a treasure the bar goes down a random amount. if the bar is emptied the dragon awakes and you are killed. Dungeon quest had a similar mechanic with their dragon horde and I always like the push your luck idea. that's probably what the side room will be. stuff that gets you more money. another idea I have is a room with a princess who you can choose to rescue. she will follow you around, always moving to the last space you were in and enemies can kill her.

Edit: also what would be the best way to find some good music. posting in business or in the music forum.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:41:49 PM by JasonPickering » Logged

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »

I agree Jason, I think that the horizontal key is more obviously a key. The vertical one could almost pass for a wand or staff at a quick glance.
You've got some cool ideas for this project, and I can't wait to see what's next Smiley I had a fun time playing with a previous version of the game though I didn't get far, and only discovered later that what I thought was a slice of pizza was actually a fireball, hah! Great work so far though!

vlaube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »

I agree Jason, I think that the horizontal key is more obviously a key. The vertical one could almost pass for a wand or staff at a quick glance.

Or a golden rose. Smiley

Finished: Working on:
st33d
« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:25 AM »

Edit: also what would be the best way to find some good music. posting in business or in the music forum.

What's your budget? We have a freelancer who works from our offices who's pretty good. (Send a personal message if you're interested.)
Byrono
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »

You can just find good music in the Newgrounds audio portal.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »

more stuff coming at ya.

the test win screen for now. I will probably have like 5 or 6 different pictures for the bottom and then change them depending on how much money you make it out with.

I never really had a story and I am not sure where this idea came from but if everyhting works out the game will be a score based game. it will be based around press your luck mechanics. the player can go as many floors as they want in the dungeon, but they don't actually get a score unless they make it out alive. so if you go 4 floors in and decide to turn around you need to battle your way through 4 floors again. and previous floors will have no treasure on them.

also the quest system will allow the player to choose their quest. basically two characters will be randomly generated. one will say I bet you 20 gold you cant make it to floor 2 now the player can then select Your On or I Bet... if you select Your On that is your quest if you succeed +20 if you fail -20 to your final score. if you select I Bet.. the other guy says I bet you 30 gold you cant make it to floor 4. this keeps going until you take a "quest" this allows the player to select the character they will play as and the quest they will take. I hope to have a few quests types, but we will see. right now I have floor goals, and possible enemies killed.

edit: alternately I might do quests as I bet you 20 gold, I can make it to floor 2. I like the name Microgue, but I think it needs to be changed to something that fits in better with the theme of the game; of loud adventures bragging in a tavern. Skullkickers has been a big influence so far. I suggest anyone out there read it if you get the chance.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

Or a golden rose. Smiley

Golden rose indeed! Could be a prize for the player who gets through all the rooms without harming a single enemy :D

I like the concept of the story-based challenges Jason, it'd be a neat way to develop the personality of the character you've got. I'm not familiar with the Skullkickers comic, but after seeing the image you linked, it made me think that being able to choose from a group of friends to play would be cool (each has their own abilities or weapons).
Anyways, the style of the game has me hooked so far, and am looking forward to what you  come up with next!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »

hey so its been a while since I have posted anything in here. I took a break to enter into the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge. I am back now though after a successful game there. the next plan is to move ahead with this game and add in more complicated enemies. that way as you get farther I give tougher enemies instead of just more. ater that it will be adding quests, and spells and I should have a pretty good system to start expanding on.

the new enemies also involve coming up with a tier system, so I will probably be having to do a lot of tweaking, but that will all be hidden from the player. the next bad guys to be added will be the wolf, the necromancer, and the spider. since they will be much more complicated then the other current enemies I have and share some code.

the wolf: He will have a small chance of instead of moving he might preform a Howl. a howl will call another wolf onto the level.

the necormancer: will run away from you, and has a small chance of summoning a skeleton. on Death all skeletons on the level collapse.

Spider: will have a chance of laying down a web tile. after 5 turns it will vanish, but while a player stands on a web tile, their movement is reduced to 1.

that's about it for now.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:59 PM »

Curious, what's your 7DRL entry? Also, any influence from that you're considering adding to this?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »

well the biggest influence will probably be the optimized code I wrote for it. it had a lot of things I liked, but it was so different from this one that I don't have much I could bring over. anyways here is a link to it.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2012, 01:52:09 AM »

Keep going Jason! Looking great.. Smiley
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »

So i am back to working on this officially. I started it as a new project and copied over all the code Piece by Piece. I do this a lot as it forces me to break the code down into its individual purposes and I can look for leaks and inefficient things. Like changing the touch controls to 100 lines of code to like 20. I also completely redid the monster spawning code that finds places for the monsters. I only have mice implemented now, but I will be adding in the code that decides what enemies next.

I also added special Tiles. basically its a special Tile that when you are on it gives you a movement boost. its pretty nice when you can get on it and zip past a bunch of monsters.

I am also on the fence about the bragging challenge mechanic. I really like it, but I think if I am going to use it, I should really push it and make the game about bragging. so that might be saved for another 7DRL.

Erinock
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »

Getting very tasty this is  Evil
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »

yeah. I should be needing another round of testing soon. I am still figuring out the end game though.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic