Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:10:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1453430 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: June 22, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »

Lol you guys hold me to high standards  Cheesy Thanks for pushing through until it's good though, instead of just accepting any old animation I throw at you!

I sort of agree with this, I'm looking into solutions for making it more like that. I think making the first tail segments very rigid and then have it taper off might achieve something like it.

For the poop propulsion and general grossness, that was actually sort of what I was going for...
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: June 22, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »

Lol you guys hold me to high standards  Cheesy Thanks for pushing through until it's good though, instead of just accepting any old animation I throw at you!
We don't want you to end up like the George Lucas of games.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: June 23, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

Update 442

Further work on the fish creature. I've also stared on some water splashes, which I know are not really all the way there. It should probably have some sort of highlights on it making it appear less dark - but that is difficult without making the individual sprites more obvious. It's supposed to look like a unified mass of water rather than sprites, and if I add some kind of specular effect in the shader the shader would still only know about the specific sprite it handles, so it would be difficult to keep it unified.

Suggestions?
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »

Hmmm i think the repulsion splashes still look a bit weird because they are segmented. If they are segmented the fishes acceleration would not be continuous.

Maybe change it to a continuous water jet which would then also justify the smooth acceleration. Moreover it seems like a massive amount of water they can store in their "lifting engine".
Maybe use a particle system?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:48:24 AM by adge » Logged
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: June 23, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »

Update 442

Further work on the fish creature. I've also stared on some water splashes, which I know are not really all the way there. It should probably have some sort of highlights on it making it appear less dark - but that is difficult without making the individual sprites more obvious. It's supposed to look like a unified mass of water rather than sprites, and if I add some kind of specular effect in the shader the shader would still only know about the specific sprite it handles, so it would be difficult to keep it unified.

Suggestions?
Then don't make it out of sprites. You need something like this, but thin and flexible so you can attach it to the creature like a tail.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: June 23, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »

Anyone who says they dont hear "fart sounds" when they watch this GIF is lying through their teeth...

...Or if you didn't, you probably do now.

Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »

Update 442

Suggestions?
Then don't make it out of sprites. You need something like this, but thin and flexible so you can attach it to the creature like a tail.

I agree. I think having an initial continuous stream which breaks up into the globules of water that you have now would be a good blend.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »

Poop fish gonna wreck ya!

Yup, the segmentation is the main problem. Just don't really know how to make a continuous flow that's also flexible. Is this better?

adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 23, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »

Technically water consists out of mulecules which can be considered as segments. They are just extremely small. Maybe more smaller segments would do it but then you could also use particles i guess..?
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 23, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »

Yeah, maybe making it look more like a spray than having big blobs of water would look better.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: June 23, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »

about the highlight there is this very old hack, render all specular sprite on top of all water sprite together, as if they were on another layer. Modern particle system still work kinda that way, they render all particle in their own image buffer, process them, then composite the final image back in the scene.

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 23, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »

I think the impact water splashes work best when they are relatively closely confined to the surface of the water. They become more obviously sprite-like when they become separated from the rest of the splash.

For the stream, can you keep the flexibility, but just increase the density of sprites emitted so that they look like a continuous stream for a short distance?

Is that slugcat driving the poop fish?
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

poop fish

I think that one's going to stick...
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: June 23, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

Joar said it first!
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: June 23, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

These remind me of frogs. And yes, poop fish!
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: June 23, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »

Just don't really know how to make a continuous flow that's also flexible.
  • Spawn particles like you're doing, but instead of rendering a particle at each point, put two vertices, offset to the side of the motion vector.
  • Make that "flow width" offset increase slowly over time
  • Tie all the vertices together with triangles.
  • Apply a simple "flow" texture to each quad. It could even be animated.
  • If the distance between two points is greater than some threshold, OR, the "flow width" reaches a certain maximum then despawn all downstream vertices and spawn "spray" particles in their place

This should get you a "hose" of coherent flow like a hosepipe, that obeys gravity + inertia, that scatters into spray at its end, or during violent manoeuvres.

EDIT: There's that technique, I forget its name cos I'm not a programmer, but you use it in shoot-em-ups to avoid creating and destroying thousands of objects for projectiles, where you just recycle the IDs of old bullets to make new ones. THat would be applicable here, but I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:58:27 PM by Crispy75 » Logged
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: June 23, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »

Suggestions?

I don't think these fishes need a water stream system to be fast at all, they already have two excellent long fins. And the resulting frog pose (and poop) in air does not look very charming. These crab-like claws look great, but you could place them at the tip of the head, because they look like small t-rex arms in the center of the body.

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: June 23, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »

I rather like Zorg's suggestion. They look really gorgeous in the water, and would be plenty interesting if they just leapt out of the water at you, rather than rocketing.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »

Wait did they have infinite supplies of poop for propulsion?

adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: June 23, 2015, 02:53:42 PM »

Suggestions?

I don't think these fishes need a water stream system to be fast at all, they already have two excellent long fins. And the resulting frog pose (and poop) in air does not look very charming. These crab-like claws look great, but you could place them at the tip of the head, because they look like small t-rex arms in the center of the body.

Well I like that idea too. Like sharks, they accelerate under water and then just use the momentum to "jet off".
You could also use the "poop mechanic" underwater like jellyfish do with ink, to protect themselves against predators.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:19:53 PM by adge » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic