Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 03:04:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2332693 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22260 on: July 26, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »

One of the main reasons why people play video games is escaping reality. So historical accuracy is probably not even wanted, certainly not in Diablo games.
Relatable and recognizable things give comfort to people.
The sky is blue.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22261 on: July 26, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »

the sky is pretty much any colour depending on time of day and season

often multiple clearly different colours at once

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #22262 on: July 26, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »

skies am shining brother Gentleman

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22263 on: July 26, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »

One of the main reasons why people play video games is escaping reality. So historical accuracy is probably not even wanted, certainly not in Diablo games.
minecraft, because we are all cubes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22264 on: July 26, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »

minecraft, because we are all cubes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-VPtFzh6Ye4
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22265 on: July 26, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »

I don't really get why you're saying historical accuracy isn't important then Tongue

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22266 on: July 26, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »

(for example)That doesn't explain diablo popularity in south korea where nothing from diablo lore is relatable and recongnisable. Escaping reality is the key here, especially with the medieval design that is a dream like for people of different culture.
Historical "accuracy" isn't important.
I can think about all the japanese rpg with abundant medieval fantasy lore, they love it because it's different.
Same as the fascination western has for japanese folklore.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22267 on: July 26, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »

Yes please, I'm curious to know. Thanks. Smiley

Turns out, yes, the subtitles in Swedish are made milder than the source material.

Yes, generally you're supposed to think "a bit nicer in Swedish". (It's almost automatic in all types of translation.) And certain programs are supposed to be separated as post and pre watershed, depending on when they're aired. If they're aired before 6pm, then swears are bleeped and you have to remove them in the translation as well. Either using "---" or by rewriting/removing. For example "What the bleep are you doing" becomes "What are you doing" and "You're such a bleep" becomes "You're such a ---"

I asked why this was the case, her speculation was:

Probably because we don't think swears in other languages are as harsh as in our primary language. Because, well, I'm sure you can imagine yourself. It's more personal, direct. If I said "fucking hell", it would never be the same as [long Swedish explative].

People are used to hearing strong swearing in English, but not reading them in Swedish writing. I guess there would be too many complaints. It's something that seems to have become an established norm. But there is no outright ban against using strong swears if you want to.
That is quite interesting, I didn't know there was a (pre)-watershed separation. The two last paragraphs made me understand now why some swears were toned down when translated. Thank you both. Smiley

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22268 on: July 26, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »

(for example)That doesn't explain diablo popularity in south korea where nothing from diablo lore is relatable and recongnisable. Escaping reality is the key here, especially with the medieval design that is a dream like for people of different culture.
Historical "accuracy" isn't important.
I can think about all the japanese rpg with abundant medieval fantasy lore, they love it because it's different.
Same as the fascination western has for japanese folklore.
It's hard to create stories that flow well within those design styles though. I feel like even if you're not familiar with folklore, it gives a sense of genuinity? I don't know. I don't think it matters extremely much, but there's a reason most of our stories are based on existing ones. We all have this sense to see quality in a piece of work, even if we can't exactly pin-point what it is. (to be fair I've never played Diablo 3)

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22269 on: July 26, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »

I didn't know there was a (pre)-watershed separation.

I didn't know we had that in Sweden, either. I don't think it's necessarily true for the "true" Swedish TV channels, they never bleep stuff afaik. I think it's more the case with the foreign-owned commercial channels that almost only show US-produced content.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22270 on: July 26, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »

diablo uses lots of biblical imagery. 30% of the population of south korea are christians. also ur acting like koreans are somehow unaware of western culture and like cultural osmosis through media and etc doesn't exist. for instance im not american, i live in the easternmost part of central europe, but i find cultural depictions of the wild west very relatable (as in i understand all the common tropes and codes) because i grew up with them and so do most other ppl in my country probably.

there's also this thing where, thanks to centuries of imperialism, the western world has cultural dominance. as a result, western culture is p much everywhere and everyone is familiar with it to some extent.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22271 on: July 26, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22272 on: July 26, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »

in diablo episode they just talk about portrayal of demons and stuff. Even fantasy worlds are generally based on existing mythological narrative.

Also here some classic christian imagery:

i heard some weird logic leaps and opinions there. Asian mythology is exotic here same way western beliefs and culture are exotic and weird in asia. These days cultural fetishism is widespread and common.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #22273 on: July 26, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »

Then you have Quebecois swears that are just like

Quebec.

CAN YOU COOK HEMP SEEDS LIKE RICE AND JUST EAT THEM. I HAVE A BOTTLE OF CHOLULA AND SOME GHOST PEPPER RELISH THAT I WANT TO PUT ON EVERYTHING.

also I accidentally broke my ego and now I keep emotionally fusing with cartoon characters and juice, help this is really unpleasant I am drinking myself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:53:58 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22274 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:13 AM »

diablo uses lots of biblical imagery. 30% of the population of south korea are christians. also ur acting like koreans are somehow unaware of western culture and like cultural osmosis through media and etc doesn't exist. for instance im not american, i live in the easternmost part of central europe, but i find cultural depictions of the wild west very relatable (as in i understand all the common tropes and codes) because i grew up with them and so do most other ppl in my country probably.

there's also this thing where, thanks to centuries of imperialism, the western world has cultural dominance. as a result, western culture is p much everywhere and everyone is familiar with it to some extent.

i was saying this after this
Relatable and recognizable things give comfort to people
yes they had access to lineage wich is a western medieval context, they had access to western old culture through tv movies manga, but most of them are not historical accurate and i don't think they are looking for that.

koreans are familar with the western culture in an unfamiliar way. it's like France for Japanese and the Paris syndrome "Contradiction – the Japanese often picture Paris as a land of dreams, the land of beauty, culture and romance. However, they soon find out the contrary when they visit Paris for the first time. They find it to be a very regular place, the facilities are disorganized, many areas are unclean, and life characterized by noise, not like what was in their imagination."

Aren't cultural depictions of the wild west historicaly unaccurate btw?

. for instance im not american, i live in the easternmost part of central europe, but i find cultural depictions of the wild west very relatable (as in i understand all the common tropes and codes) because i grew up with them and so do most other ppl in my country probably.
Isn't it more linked with codes of honor ? (like for samurais)
& Aren't cultural depictions of the wild west historicaly unaccurate btw?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22275 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:08 AM »

hmm why is historical accuracy so important?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22276 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:42 AM »

because i was continuing with this thread
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22277 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:27 AM »

what is are we you even ramblin about they talk about historic demons in videogame

how do you even pull paris syndrome here?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22278 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:30 AM »

sorry i'm dumb
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22279 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:21 AM »

everything is historically accurate is the new remix.

love documentary though especially rettelling story written by the victor, totally historically accurate because omission is not fiction

Huh? wtf i'p writing it's too early i'm going back to bed bye

Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic