Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: animtim

June 09, 2024, 11:25:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1338250 times)
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2520 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

Yeah but why are these short artificial structures there? Is that something alluded to or directly spelled out in the game?

caddeo
Level 0

Pixel disability

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 02, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »

I've been reading the devlog over the past four days. Really inspiring, and I can't wait to see more updates!!
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2522 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:47 AM »

i don't mind the look of him against 4 units doors- looks pretty natural to me, but i also think the ducking is cool- kinda quirky and a little cute/creepy squeezing through things everywhere- i would imagine the main decider would be which makes a more appropriate height to jump up onto- the 3 or 4- and if you do or don't often want characters jumping up on top of minimum height structures with doors... anyway, looking forward to more Smiley

i think the idea of a few spark particles when you drag a helmet along the ceiling is quite good also and could cover up any visual quirks with the ducking and the way things line up

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2523 on: July 02, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »

If I make the doors and structures accommodate 4 vertical units then MM now seems small again.

A vicious, never-ending cycle has begun.
MM and doors will just keep growing and growing, until...

Armitage1982
Level 0

Press any key to continue...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2524 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »

If I make the doors and structures accommodate 4 vertical units then MM now seems small again.

I don't find MM that small but I see what you mean.
If you're crazy enough to add a state for ducking (which is an excellent idea btw Smiley ) then why not trying to make it crawl ? It would certainly give you more work but may strengthen the sense of narrowness.

I guess it's a bit too late to split the size unit in 2 to keep both of the idea ?

I also love the magic staff burning effect !

In any cases the MM verse seems quite rich and graphically very interesting to me. Chapeau mate Gentleman

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2525 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »

Thanks guys, the ducking stays but I adjusted the params so the head always goes low enough. The doors are all 4 units now, so most of the time you'll only be ducking into tighter passage ways when mining, or maybe when in a goblin house or something. The sparks idea is totally rad, I'll have to remember it when I add some more polish later.

@caddeo - I'm glad this is inspiring! I was inspired 2 years ago by reading The Archer devlog to make my own, and here I am, all this time later. Smiley

@Lemoncreme - you jester you Shocked

@Armi - hey, good to see you again mate! thx for dropping in! Smiley

Update: Big week of work and I just submitted a build to PAX Australia Indie Showcase. Exciting, would be a big boon to exhibit the game in front of thousands of people. But I also know I'm up against a lot of great games, so I won't get too hopeful. Still ... it forced me to crunch and put together a little demo. Here's the little starting area, there's a shovel in the chest, and you have to use it to dig out of the cave through the dirt on the right. My goal was to force the player to understand the fundamentals before going out into the world and facing the aggressive nomads and demons.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2526 on: July 03, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

But how did he get in the cave without any entrances...?! Because of these glaring omissions I give this 10/10. Gentleman

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »

But how did he get in the cave without any entrances...?! Because of these glaring omissions I give this 10/10. Gentleman

Perhaps that's not a chest over there. Maybe it's a coffin where count moonman was slumbering when the villagers sealed the cave in a futile attempt to stop his terrifying reign!
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 06, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »

just read through the devlog from page one - it was really cool to see a sort of timelapse of the development, the changes in the art are especially impressive

good luck with pax!
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 07, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »

It'll be hard to see Moonman's design change, but I think it's necessary. He was designed for a time when the game was basically ANSI, but it isn't like that anymore so he needs to change to suit.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 07, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »

I'm actually really digging the new Moonman, good luck at PAX!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2531 on: July 07, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »

@Eigen shhhhhhhh
@Saukyo Great, thanks for reading!
@Rek Yeah it was hard, but I think keeping his face is enough of a link to the past for me.
@Slader Thanks!

Update: Started to consolidate, commiserate, condense, and coalesce all my tasks for the next chunk of work. I also started playing around with some image scaling filters (for the funsies). Applied to a static screenshot, you can see below how XBRZ modifies the low res pixel art of MM. I like it quite a lot but will be sticking with the current style for this game. I also made a little paint program (windows:bp.io/XBRZPXL.ZIP) that lets you paint in XBRZ-style.

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 07, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »

Are we able to see these moving? I actually really like the look of those.
Still prefer the actual look of the game though, just curious!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2533 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »

Yep here's a basic test https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/486313865131470850/photo/1

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 07, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

It'll be hard to see Moonman's design change, but I think it's necessary. He was designed for a time when the game was basically ANSI, but it isn't like that anymore so he needs to change to suit.
Can't till it is 3D with the division like shading  Shocked

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 07, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »

That actually looks pretty nice. I usually find those filters aren't much good, but it seems to work well with Moonmans art. Maybe you can keep it as an optional feature?
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2536 on: July 07, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »

Maybe you should scrap all the art and do it all at full HD resolution..  Tongue
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2537 on: July 08, 2014, 03:14:22 AM »

i think the filter looks awesome personally but it MUST be optional because many will hate it

So long and thanks for all the pi
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2538 on: July 08, 2014, 04:17:11 AM »

This game is looking better and better every time I visit. Created this strange piece of somewhat christmasey art with the program. Really lovely piece of software. Would be nice to have an extended set of palettes to choose from.

Harridrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 08, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »

I tried out the XBRZ painting program as well, it's a pretty wild scaling algorithm! Painting with it is kind of mesmerizing, especially watching the colours sort of cling and merge to each other haha!
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic