Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412111 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 11:54:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 787251 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »

How do arcane potions work?
I tend to avoid them not knowing what they do.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 18, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »

Arcane is a magic buff. Drink them all.
Neat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »

Requesting help! Can't get this game to run properly. I tried both the exe and jar files but both open the window only to show a perpetual black screen. There's no error message. This is the first time i've ran this game on this comp, running Windows XP with an ATI Radeon X1300 (128MB) with 1GB of RAM, 4GHZ dual core CPU. I disabled all firewall type programs (including windows defender)  Shrug
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

Arcane is a magic buff. Drink them all.
But how do they buff you?
Does it last a set amount of time?
Or is it a permanent buff?

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:41 AM »

I'm led to believe it's a permanent buff because I recall downing a lot in something like Level 5 and then my Storm Wand one-shot the boss in Level 7.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1765 on: October 19, 2012, 06:12:05 AM »

How do arcane potions work?
I tend to avoid them not knowing what they do.

Arcane potions restore MP (magic points) right now. Unfortunately those points aren't used for anything yet Smiley

Requesting help! Can't get this game to run properly. I tried both the exe and jar files but both open the window only to show a perpetual black screen. There's no error message. This is the first time i've ran this game on this comp, running Windows XP with an ATI Radeon X1300 (128MB) with 1GB of RAM, 4GHZ dual core CPU. I disabled all firewall type programs (including windows defender)  Shrug

Try running the .jar version from the command line, it should give some more info on what error occurred - PM me that info

Can run a .jar there like this:
Code:
java -jar some-jar-file.jar

How will shields work? Will they automatically equip whenever you use a one handed weapon?
If so, I assume the bow will be two handed, but what about wands?

Are the shields gonna block passively or will there be an active ability?

In the beginning everything in the offhand slot will be passive, and only active when the held weapon isn't two handed. Only two handed weapon right now is probably just the bow.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1766 on: October 19, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »

http://www.intrrpt.com/downloads/delver/delver-alpha-10-19-12.jar

This version will not be able to load saves from earlier versions of the game and will overwrite them, be warned!

* New equip system - breaks compatibility with old saves
* Added leg versions of all armor
* Rings and amulets of protection (ac boost)
* Better trap effects
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 19, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »

Because Interrupt would need to make a seperate, dedicated menu screen for character stats, and there's just no need for that.
I think you misunderstood me, I don't think they should be separate (unless we end up with many many more character stats) but many have been asking for an inventory key that isnt so far away from the rest of the control keys, 'c' would fill this function and make sense now when the screen is more than just inventory.

Now that the inventory contains equipping and 'character stats', how about changing the default key for it from 'i' to 'c' for character?

Also, in regards to the new level generator.
1. I noticed all the default .dat files are numbered, do they have to? Or will the game load any .dat files found in the assets folder as long as the folder structure and files are correct? If so that's amazing for custom tiles since there is no messing with preserving default ones or conflict between different packs. If this isnt the case, well, it would be nice if it was :p
2. Maybe it's something you've fixed in newer builds that hasn't been uploaded, but I was kind of disappointed to see that caves where just the same tiles as the first two levels but with cave walls, it lost the cave feeling the specially crafted cave tiles gave since so many of the normal tiles have very straight paths and walls due to being designed as rooms of a man-made structure.

The 'c' key isn't being used for anything else, I can have it be an alternate way to open the inventory.

1. My plan was to just use any .dat file found in a generator folder as a possible tile but I had some issues getting a list of stuff in a directory when it's packaged into a .jar file so my hacky fix was just to check numbered files in order until I couldn't find the next one.
I could start zipping up the assets folder along with the jar / exe to fix that, it's probably the best option.

2. That shouldn't be happening, but it will fall back to the default tile set when it can't find the given one.

Having it as an alternate key would be great.

1. You mean having the default tiles come inside a assets folder outside of the jar instead of packed inside? Yea could work. I think I already made a good case for why it would be great if the game didn't care about the naming of the tile files.

2. Hmm, right, well I had that happen with the 10-10-12 version, will test 10-19-12 later and see if I have the same problem with it.
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 19, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »

Amazing update!

Interrupt I think you should rework the generation engine completely. I nearly always walk down a linear path and have to go all the way back to a hub like location on the map. This just makes the game frustrating and makes me ragequit. This probably happens to just about everyone else too.

So I am going to give you a modified algorithm I created when I was writing a video game of my own.

1. Generate about 4-6 points on the map
2. Choose a random point
3. Place a pathway between this point and its closest one(if not already hooked up)
4. Place a room that goes around this path(not necessarily exactly on the path) and that only has one entrance and exit but if there is a room in the way just add a new entrance and exit to it
5. Find pathfinding at the end of the room to the second point
6. Repeat 4-5 until you have rooms in between the points
7. Repeat 2-6 for a set number of times
8. Choose one of the points as the exit

I am a programmer also interrupt, the example above might be hard to understand but it does work.

Also the last thing I have to say is a coupe of ideas for rings
1. Ring of the rogue - boosts speed and dodge chance but makes attacks weaker
2. Ring of the warrior - boosts attacks but slows the player down massively
3. Ring of the eye - every time one of the eye creatures attacks you the eye thingy takes as much damage as you
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1769 on: October 19, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

You mean having the default tiles come inside a assets folder outside of the jar instead of packed inside? Yea could work. I think I already made a good case for why it would be great if the game didn't care about the naming of the tile files.

Correct, best choices are either to supply an assets folder alongside the jar/exe or to package everything in the assets/Generator folder into a Zip archive and keep that in the jar, it should be possible to get a list of files in that archive for every platform.
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:02 AM »

So, just played some of the latest version. Levels 3 and 4 were generated using the normal tiles from levels 1 and 2, don't think I saw a single one of the tiles that used to be in the cave set. For levels 4 and 5, where the sewer is if I'm not mistaken, generated using mostly the level 1 and 2 tiles, think I saw one sewer tile, though that could have been a non sewer intersection I've just never seen.

Enemies are from the correct set though and the correct wall textures are used.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »

Int, I have a question, why don't arrow stacks combine yet?
I mean, if you can code it so that grabbing one arrow entity adds it to the first stack, why can't the arrow x20 be added to the first arrow stack it finds?

It just confuses me because to me this seems like such a simple bug fix.

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1772 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »

So, just played some of the latest version. Levels 3 and 4 were generated using the normal tiles from levels 1 and 2, don't think I saw a single one of the tiles that used to be in the cave set. For levels 4 and 5, where the sewer is if I'm not mistaken, generated using mostly the level 1 and 2 tiles, think I saw one sewer tile, though that could have been a non sewer intersection I've just never seen.

Enemies are from the correct set though and the correct wall textures are used.

Ugh, something odd is happening in the generator. This is the same issue that made me number all of the generator .dat files, apparently my hacky fix doesn't work in some environments. I'll need to put in place one of those better solutions.

Int, I have a question, why don't arrow stacks combine yet?
I mean, if you can code it so that grabbing one arrow entity adds it to the first stack, why can't the arrow x20 be added to the first arrow stack it finds?

It just confuses me because to me this seems like such a simple bug fix.

That's the easy part, the hard part is getting it to work in all the drag and drop cases and also making the system generic. The arrows combining bit is hardcoded right now, that system really needs to be updated so that you can mark an item as being stackable and have everything else just work.
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1773 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

Hi! I'm new to this forum but have been playing Delver for a few weeks now. Totally love it. Great stuff! Just installed the latest version you just posted and, I'm not sure if this is an issue previously documented, but when I resize the window, the hot bar and icons at the top of the screen get cut off slightly. I've linked to a screenshot of what's up: http://cl.ly/image/3T471y3k2M2S

Again, love it so far and really enjoy following the progress!

Little Comp Info:
MacBook Pro (late 2008)
Processor  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory  4 GB
Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB
Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 19, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »

http://www.intrrpt.com/downloads/delver/delver-alpha-10-19-12.jar

This version will not be able to load saves from earlier versions of the game and will overwrite them, be warned!

* New equip system - breaks compatibility with old saves
* Added leg versions of all armor
* Rings and amulets of protection (ac boost)
* Better trap effects
Wow this is awsome!  I'm downloading this right now, then I will play it and update the wiki.

This is the list of what I am going to add/edit to the Delver Wiki.  Most of these updates range from Delver 9-6-12 till Delver 10-19-12.  Anything with a line through it means it is done.
-Update The Delver History
-Update The Ice Wand Page
-Update The Delvedit Page
-Update The Planned Features Page
-Update The Traps Page
-Create A Page About Leveling Up/ Experience
-Create A Ring Page
-Create An Amulet Page
-Add All Of The Screen Shots From Interupt about him developing the newest vertions
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:54:08 AM by ninja » Logged

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
MrDaaark
Level 0

Hi

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: October 20, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »

Cheesy Wow, this sure has changed since the last Android build. I'm completely lost! This is really progressing a lot for the better though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:38:03 AM by MrDaaark » Logged

Snowraven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 20, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

Hey i just made an account to post here. I think delver is awesome and i love everything about it. But i play the mobile version the most and its been a good while since the last update. When is it coming out? Also the new equip system and rings look awesome! Gentleman
Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1777 on: October 20, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »

You've probably answered this a hundred times but, any chance we'll see an easier way to pickup items? My first play through, I missed some of them because I wasn't prompted.

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 20, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

I was just thinking - when the village is almost finished, why not to add it as a normal level of dungeon for now?
There could be spawned the human enemies (thief etc.) and for explanation of their hostility, the village is a residence of undeath cult and the villagers see the lich as their half-god. That's why they have the dungeon under their village, too. And maybe, they could be the last remaining group of Yithidans, surviving after the fall of their empire.
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 21, 2012, 06:55:58 AM »

You've probably answered this a hundred times but, any chance we'll see an easier way to pickup items? My first play through, I missed some of them because I wasn't prompted.

stop waiting for the game to spoon feed you and hit e when your mouse is on them
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic