Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412103 Posts in 69452 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 12:48:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 787136 times)
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »

http://www.intrrpt.com/downloads/delver/delver-alpha-10-22-12.jar

* Moved dungeon generator assets into one generator.zip file instead of being loose files, should fix issues where levels used the wrong theme and now the generator will find and use any level file ending with .dat in one of the generator folders in the zip instead of having to rely on some naming convention.

* 'C' is now an alternative key to open the inventory
That fixed the level generation issue for me. Caves are now caves and sewers are sewers. Thanks for the 'C' as alt inventory key.

I noticed that in some cave tiles you had gone through and given the floor some shifting height, that's great, continue doing that for the rest of the tiles and maybe give the ceilings some attention as well, I think smoothed differences in height would fit a lot better than the upside down stairs :p.

Also, a suggestion, there is a cave hall, one of the tiles I made that you included, that splits in two paths, one keeps the default floor height while the other sinks down a bit. Hope that's a good enough description for you to find it. Even out the ceiling a bit between the two bits as it currently is a bit ugly at the part where the two paths meet and you can look down on the lower from the upper one as the ceiling over the lower paths is a lot lower than the ceiling on the high path. It's a change I did do to my tilepack but you never included those updates.
TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 24, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »

Whoah. I need to pick up that issue - what month is that?

Argh, this didn't post yesterday for some reason?

It's the HOLIDAY 2012 issue, sorry for cutting that off in the picture. The magazine arrived in the mail yesterday.
mrleblanc101
Level 0

Québec :)

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 24, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

any update of the "Official" version soon ? BTW Would you give us some information about what your preparing for the next update plz :D

---------------------------
Nothing Interesting Here...
GO Away !!!
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1803 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

http://www.intrrpt.com/downloads/delver/delver-alpha-10-25-12.jar

* Changed HP display
* Fixed incorrect ATK display in the inventory
* Fixed fallback renderer not displaying the inventory correctly
* Chunked up rendering into 17x17 tile chunks instead of drawing the level as one big mesh, a chunk also is in control of drawing it's static entities. Should see some kind of performance improvement now that it's easier to filter out what needs to be drawn.

Chunking up the world should allow for some good stuff in the future - like possibly procedurally generated landscapes that load and unload as you move through the world.

any update of the "Official" version soon ? BTW Would you give us some information about what your preparing for the next update plz :D

Will be putting out a new official version soon, just need to add in some sort of offhand item and some armor for the head slot.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:47:32 AM by Interrupt » Logged
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 25, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

Feedback on 10-25

I personally preferred the old health bar. Maybe I've just got Zelda nostalgia goggles.
I have a 9 - 14 sword with +3 Magic and it says my Atk is 6 - 11. I thought the +3 Magic was added onto whatever the sword said.
Haven't noticed a difference in user experience from the chunk loading change.

Ring and Amulet still don't sync up with background images.
Starting with Useless Pants in my hotkey but not my equipment still makes me feel very awkward.
Either cap a stack of arrows at 20 per slot, or make the pre-stacked arrows stack onto my existing slot.
I only use Ice Wands to pick off weak enemies. Their slow effect isn't that useful when a same-speed projectile of a different wand would kill bigger ones, anyway.
Not sure if there's actually a difference between Fire and Magic wands.
Storm Wands feel far more powerful than their damage would let off. Multiple projectiles?
Can't figure out what Scroll of Flame and Scroll of Blizzard actually do.
Unsure of the point of Magic or Storm on a weapon.

Anything I don't complain about, I like Smiley

Hey did I say I noticed nothing userside because OH MY GOD THE FINAL LEVEL BROKE. The spawn was broken. Not even spawned. Just an invisible floor and a wall blocking the route to the path. Then I fell into lava and died.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:06:18 AM by Linkshot » Logged
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1805 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

Hey did I say I noticed nothing userside because OH MY GOD THE FINAL LEVEL BROKE. The spawn was broken. Not even spawned. Just an invisible floor and a wall blocking the route to the path. Then I fell into lava and died.

Whoops, just uploaded a new 10-25 version to fix that.
AfterburnerMadman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: October 25, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »

Whoah. I need to pick up that issue - what month is that?

Argh, this didn't post yesterday for some reason?

It's the HOLIDAY 2012 issue, sorry for cutting that off in the picture. The magazine arrived in the mail yesterday.
2 things...1) thats really awesome 2) I need to crunch on my game
SamCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »

Just try it the new build. And it's awesome
Good things:
- Goes super smooth on my 2005 iMac (I feel it faster than before)
- Love the new additions on the inventory and health. Not sure is the cutest way but it works.

Problems:
- In my computer, crashes changing to Floor 2.

Ideas:
- What about a quiver to put all the arrows? So you don't need them in the inventory? (Maybe with a 100 cap)

Looking so great! That hard time working on the re-build I'm pretty sure will pay off with the new content.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »

Problems:
- In my computer, crashes changing to Floor 2.

Opening from Chrome or the Start Menu (instead of straight from the source folder) will cause it to crash when generating the level.
Odkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »

• Hate the single heart!  You're half dead before you even notice it.
  • Rings are way too hard too see.
  • Doesn't look like there'll ever be progress on the issue of mesh objects not rendering on some machines. This affects crystals and what? chairs?
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

Some thoughts:

Not sure I like the new HP display. Maybe it needs some polishing, maybe it just needs some time to grow on me. I think the hearts worked better because it was something you could immediately see--enemies take off half a heart, a heart of damage at a time, out of a health bar about yea long, and I have so much left. I can just look at the hearts and see that. I don't have to read it like the hitpoint counter.

The sound for traps and the sound for projectiles being the same is a little confusing. I hear an enemy in the distance hitting a trap, and suddenly I'm spinning around, looking for mages or gazers (or whatever they're called). Then I get killed by a spider.

Speaking of sound, the music is really fantastic. It does wonders for the game's atmosphere.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:24:25 AM by Swaggermuffin » Logged
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

Yeah I don't like the new HP GUI.
With a number, you have to actually look at it and see what it says, and your brain has to "translate" what the number means, which is distracting.
A bar or several hearts requires much less effort and can be done subconsciously since you can actually see your hp and how much you had and have left, it's much less abstract.

It could be improved by color coding and by making it flash when low.
But then you still wouldn't be reading the numbers, you'd just look at the colors.

DiiSs
Level 0

HE-MAN

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »

Yeah I don't like the new HP GUI.
With a number, you have to actually look at it and see what it says, and your brain has to "translate" what the number means, which is distracting.
A bar or several hearts requires much less effort and can be done subconsciously since you can actually see your hp and how much you had and have left, it's much less abstract.

It could be improved by color coding and by making it flash when low.
But then you still wouldn't be reading the numbers, you'd just look at the colors.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with everything Seiseki said.

..But, having a health bar like this could make my doom mod more, 'doomy'
ImHereForDelver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: October 26, 2012, 05:05:30 AM »

Can't figure out what Scroll of Flame and Scroll of Blizzard actually do.

If you are close to an enemy and you use the scroll it will hurt them the same amount of damage as if using the wand equivalent.
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: October 26, 2012, 05:13:26 AM »

Yea, I'm going to have to agree that the health counter needs work. It's nice to have an actual counter stating exactly how much health I have, both currently and maximum. The issue is that there is no easy way to quickly gauge how much I have left during combat. The hearts allowed this, they gave me a rough idea of how much I had left, it's not like I ever counted the hearts.

What I think you should do is something like you talked about a bunch of pages back, namely, this:

It has both a counter and a quick way to gauge remaining health. You should try to have have an icon in there though, like the heart, the red bar is obvious enough but it looks good, if done right.

• Doesn't look like there'll ever be progress on the issue of mesh objects not rendering on some machines. This affects crystals and what? chairs?

Oh, right. Those are in the game? In that case I'm another one who can't see them (never have).

Some specs in case it helps:
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Intel Core i5-2300
AMD HD5770, running latest drivers.
Java 7 update 7 (64bit)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »

http://www.intrrpt.com/downloads/delver/delver-alpha-10-26-12.jar

New stable version release candidate!
* Status bar instead of just a number
* Fixed crash when charging an attack and dropping a weapon
* Added helmets
* More performance tweaks

If this tests okay for people, I'll cut new stable builds for all platforms from it.

Oh, right. Those are in the game? In that case I'm another one who can't see them (never have).

Crystals are the only meshes being used right now, do those appear for you? I haven't been able to track down the cause of why they don't appear on some machines, it's probably an issue with graphics drivers misreporting what features they support from what I've talked about with the libGdx guys.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

No crash, but I'm slowed until I pick up a weapon that can be charged..at which point its charge attack is automatically used.

Also yeah, I'm not seeing crystals, but I'm seeing lighting where they should be.

Okay, so, either I'm just really good, or there's simply too much AC now. I managed to return to the surface with the Orb while at full health. I kept a Sword and Bow in slots 1 and 2 while 3 to 6 stayed free for Food and Wands I left behind/enemies dropped.

Or Valley Without Wind's music is just really good for the rush back.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:07:10 AM by Linkshot » Logged
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

No crash, but I'm slowed until I pick up a weapon that can be charged..at which point its charge attack is automatically used.

Good catch. Reuploaded a new version to fix that.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: October 26, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »

Could you guys with mesh rendering issues (crystals not displaying) grab and run GPU-Z, and PM me a screencap of the info it gives?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Example:
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »

Okay, so, either I'm just really good, or there's simply too much AC now. I managed to return to the surface with the Orb while at full health. I kept a Sword and Bow in slots 1 and 2 while 3 to 6 stayed free for Food and Wands I left behind/enemies dropped.
How much AC did you have? Because I still get one to two shotted with my modded Delver with more armor parts!

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic