Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 11, 2024, 12:27:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 81162 times)
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 09, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »

I need a Dune videogame bad. So much potential in that universe.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: October 09, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »

All of the Dune games are good already so I don't think fate should be tempted

https://youtu.be/UOjCzQesQw4?t=1002
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 09, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »

more star citizen
https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/videos/all

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 09, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »

But I wanna ride sandworms and drop Spice with the Fremen...

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: October 10, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »

I guess the lesson is that people will only be angry at game's that advertise themselves, so make your next ambitious indie space adventure game a secret and everyone that knows about it will love it!

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: October 10, 2016, 12:06:24 AM »

But I wanna ride sandworms and drop Spice with the Fremen...

https://youtu.be/2_B4WPnf-AY?t=8946
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 10, 2016, 06:19:42 AM »

I guess the lesson is that people will only be angry at game's that advertise themselves, so make your next ambitious indie space adventure game a secret and everyone that knows about it will love it!

Or sell it for what is there and less of the  final project and pretend addition are surprise development! I would like to do something like that. Make a space skyrim and hide the fact that the whole planet and the whole galaxy is accessible until the player reach it there for the first time!

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 10, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »

If the game was $9.99 I'd probably have given it a go. At $60, it is a fucking joke (at the consumer's expense).

Everything I seem points back to the game feeling very unfinished and very under-implemented. Their problem wasn't that they advertised, their problem was that they advertised they're selling gold and expected people to pay for gold when what they were really selling was a half-chiseled rock with flecks of something in it that only resembled gold.

It is early access quality sold at finished product prices. Yeah, that is going to piss people off.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: October 10, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »

Yeah, honestly, if NMS was $10 and updated their ads to reflect the game as is, I would have had 0 beef with the game, hell i probably would have bought it just to support them to develop it further. 

What really bothers me about all this though is...wtf is valve doing? This isn't even the only game I've seen it in recently, but more and more FRONT PAGE new releases are starting to get misleading trailers/info and steam doesn't seem to be doing any policing of their system anymore, there's games claiming full mmo gameplay still for sale who's severs have been permanently offline for years, and abandoned early access games claiming features that were either removed for being buggy before the abandon or just never worked/never added.  Steams always had issues but it just seems like they're starting to care less about what goes on.

-Fuzzy Spider
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #789 on: October 10, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »

also, somewhat related
http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-sand-snake-osiris/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

I picked up osiris to try it out before this article and had about the same experience first time i wandered into a crater....just stopped moving and stared at it, lol (it is possible to run away from).  I kinda like osiris, it's a different approach, a little like ark in space but without the need to constantly eat and drink every 30 seconds, could use some polish on the helper AI that does the tedious mining for you (which is about the best thing ever in a survival game, thank god) but if nothing else the combat is REALLY fun in it.

-Fuzzy Spider
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 10, 2016, 05:04:33 PM »

This is actually kinda true though. Part of the charm of indie games is that they're kinda hidden (or at least they used to be like that) so that you don't know what to expect, so the game is an absolute surprise.

Just look at Cave Story and Undertale.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »

People expected NMS to be a fun game and a fun exploration experience which is simply too much to expect of anyone
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 11, 2016, 03:47:02 AM »

This is actually kinda true though. Part of the charm of indie games is that they're kinda hidden (or at least they used to be like that) so that you don't know what to expect, so the game is an absolute surprise.

Just look at Cave Story and Undertale.

undertale did get some hype before release. the kickstarter was very successful iirc.

i think the difference is, undertale had a demo out whose content is pretty much exactly repeated in the full game, so everyone knew what undertale was gonna play like. hence no false expectations.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2016, 03:49:17 AM »

Yes, but the people who enjoyed it the most were the people who kind of just heard of it and bought it on steam to try it out. Remember how it's a common complaint that the game was way overhyped by fans?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 11, 2016, 03:50:55 AM »

but i mean, everything is way overhyped by fans. everything that HAS fans at least.

except NMS, which is way overhated by haters.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2016, 04:01:48 AM »

People expected NMS to be a fun game and a fun exploration experience which is simply too much to expect of anyone

the game is pretty fun (to me). it's just, y'know, flawed.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: October 11, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »

I am not gonna say you're not having fun

I just don't think it does a good enough job of being a game
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »

Life's a game......,.,.,.,,,,.,....
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #798 on: October 11, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »

Then I need a "extra life"
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 11, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »

I am not gonna say you're not having fun

I just don't think it does a good enough job of being a game
I think the problem is that it doesn't do a good enough job at being complete. They half-implemented most of the game.

If it was just that they left this feature out or that feature out it wouldn't be quite as bad, but it is that what they did include is so bare-bones and functions so underwhelmingly that it really doesn't do anything to make up for what isn't there (whether that was just unrealistic fan expectations or not). I mean if we were talking a AAA game we'd be merciless about it, and while I understand we aren't talking about a AAA team they are charging AAA prices for something that is barely early access quality. Even if the game was just to be planet exploring and star gazing it really didn't even accomplish that beyond the must basic level, I saw more variation in Spore than this game.

They should have released early access*, they should have got actual feedback, they should have kept the prices realistic, they should have had more respect for their actual consumers (I don't mean the hype crowd, I mean the people that actually paid for it) and made sure what they were offering was worth what they were taking.

Despite whatever hype preceded it, they did it to themselves.

*EDIT: I mean in terms of what they had, rather than releasing it as a finished product for $60.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:58:30 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic