Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:01:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: dungeon (a collaboration between cactus and mr. podunkian)  (Read 87355 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »

^^^ I was totally writing this post just as you posted that... tee hee

Game plays fine on my netbook at home.

If it weren't for the compatibility thing working I'd suspect it does something bizarre like put a random seed in your registry or choose a seed based on the time of day. With this seed it feeds the random number generator, which in turn will randomly (but consistently, because the seed is saved) adjust minor attributes of the game to lead to a very amusing forum thread, including but not limited to different sets of level titles, reducing the jump height by a mere pixel or two (just enough to make jumps impossible), etc.

But in this case I'm going to go with Occam's Razor.

PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »

That sounds bizarre but interesting nonetheless.
No matter how hard I try, I still cannot overcome suicide... Epileptic
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »

Depending on the timestep and when gravity is applied in the math, jumping can be completely framerate dependent.  The safest solution is either a fixed timestep or more realistic equations for motion.  Normally not that big a deal but clearly this game has other framerate dependent issues AND requires precision jumping which magnifies the problem.

alspal
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »

Fairly decent game, quite easy and forgiving for most of the time. Until I got to a room with only 3 spikes and got sick of the hit detection. I would have liked a lives system, and a game over though to make it a bit more challenging.
pgil
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »

So is this jump impossible or do I just suck?
alspal
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »

bad hit detection me thinks.
pgil
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »

YEAH MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT  Mock Anger

It's too bad. This game has a lot of charm, and I was really enjoying it up until that part. This screen isn't just frustrating. It ruins the game.
Jrsquee
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »

very clever, arthur+cactus!  I enjoy.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »

Tch, I've beaten this four times (three spike room becomes a lot easier once you get used to it) and still can't get over that sword of man's folly. Oh well. Cute enough game anyway.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »

Strangely enough, the first time I played I cleared the jump first try, then noticed there were things written up above pertaining to a story, so I jumped back before remembering it was only credits. So I jumped back over, went on my way, no problems.

AFTER I beat the game, I could not clear that first jump. I just died and died and died and died and died. Strange stuff. The room labelled "PUSSY!" was an issue first time round, though.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »

If it weren't for the compatibility thing working I'd suspect it does something bizarre like put a random seed in your registry or choose a seed based on the time of day.
Maybe compatibility mode changes the way it comes up with that seed.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:55 PM »

I swear this game is a massive troll. In my version of the game, the bats move maybe 4 or 5 times as fast as they do in that

, making "The Great Bat Tango" impossible.  I think the game just randomly decides what "version" of the game you have and makes it impossible for those people to beat.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:48:23 PM by The North » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »

Yeah, the framerate issue seems to be a problem for me as well.  In the video the player can clear the first jump with ease, and has miles of room to spare, whereas it took me a hundred tries and I caught the edge by a bare pixel.  Is seems that on my computer I move faster and have a shorter jump.  Anyway, the Pussy! room is quite literally impossible this way because there is no good angle at which to clear the third spike.  The jump distance drops off too quickly.

I feel good getting at least that far though, considering the game isn't meant to be as difficult as what I experienced Tongue

tweet tweet @j_younger
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »

No, this game is literally a massive troll.  Some people can't make the first jump.  For some people, the water kills them.  Some people can't just over the spike.  For me, the bats moved like 5 times as fast as they were supposed to making "The Great Bat Tango" impossible.  These can't all be bugs.  The game just randomly decides the first time you boot it up to be impossible for some people.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »

i think you underestimate the nature of bugs and what having something depend on the frame rate can do to a game

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »

I can jump and clear everything, but beating this beast would require a ton of practice for me, and not because I'm bad at games. Why?

The checkpoint system doesn't really work for me. It OCCASIONALLY works on the first graveyard room thing place, but that's the only place it SOMETIMES works that I've seen. So basically if I die I have to start back at the beginning/the game dumps me back in the first room. Since it does this, I can't restart and practice a room I'm having troubles in. I also have a tendancy to go too fast and just run into something silly. Collision detection also tends to change slightly occasionally. SO YEA.

This game is clearly meant to screw with everyone's minds and the so called "bugs" are intentional. Cool
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »

i think you underestimate the nature of bugs and what having something depend on the frame rate can do to a game

Yes, framerate can make the water kill you sometimes.

EDIT: Seriously, what was this game made in.  I'd like to see the source code.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »

mmf2

The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

Shoot.  I don't want to buy MMF2.

Also, why would the framerate affect things in asynchronous ways?  Why do I move the same speed as the guy in the video, but my bats move faster?  That doesn't make any sense.  What kind of code could unintentionally cause that?  I'd love to see it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

yeah, it seems weird, but still, just from the evidence we have in this thread, one can't really conclude absolutely that it was intentional (or unintentional)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic