Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:45:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80570 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »

interesting interactions and seeing interesting things
cannot be delivered in the first place.

jesus christ here we go

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »

Why can't that be delivered? This game looks very interesting since almost everything in it is visually new, so I don't get what you mean by that.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »

Someone pay me $60 dollars to buy and write a 300 word review of it, please
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »

Why can't that be delivered?

I think he just means the insane hype and Molyneux-level promises of infinite gameplay.

I'm hopeful for the game, but I honestly doubt it can live up to all it's expectations. Doesn't make it a bad game though.

It's not my kind of game and probably won't buy it but I really am loving the incredible variety of creatures that are coming out of its procgen. Honestly very impressed with that so far.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2016, 09:36:52 PM »

I played five hours of it yesterday. My thoughts so far, if you are expecting a game mostly about pure exploration, with a somewhat simplified Privateer or Elite-like game around it as a structure, you will have a lot of fun with this. The level of engagement is not very high, but it still manages to be fairly engrossing, and I can imagine it could suck many hours of stress-free wandering with tiny little bouts of excitement and discovery here and there. This is the sort of experience the game delivers so far.
I played yesterday and have been looking forward to playing again tonight. I cant imagine still playing this a year from now, but I can definitely imagine still playing for a couple weeks at least.
If they update the game with more content, maybe i'll even come back to it every now and then, kind of like with Minecraft.

The few disappointments:
Encounters with intelligent aliens are a bit disappointing. Entering a space station for the first time was a pretty big letdown: A giant deathstar-like sphere outside, but a big empty hangar with one corridor offshoot leading to a tiny office with one alien stitting in a chair inside. A couple spaceships land every now and then so you can trade. Its functionnal, but its with things like this that the development teams' budget and time constraints show. It might have been worth it to somehow make abstraction of the space station and have it be some sort of menu-based browsing instead, leaving you at least some room to imagine some bustle of activity inside.

Another disappointment so far is something pretty obvious: as impressive as the generated planets may be, they still clearly don't have the flair of something carefully made by art directors and designers. Of course, this is something you must expect from a proc gen game, its an understandable problem, but its still very much there. The planets look quite good visually, have some rich colors, but many places look very much like those boring planet surface exploration bits from Mass Effect 1: a randomly bumped-up ground surface with some bits of ground texture that looks kind of cool from higher up, but walking down there, looks like a generic bad first person survival adventure game. Now, that said, I havent explored many planets yet, and maybe I just got a bit unlucky, we'll see.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2016, 11:28:18 PM »

I am enjoying this game a lot and this will be my new chill out game.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:12 AM »

As a fellow noctis fan, how would you say it compares?
matwek
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2016, 02:54:24 AM »

...Molyneux-level promises of infinite gameplay...

I get what you mean there but I think the comparison to Molyneux might be a bit unfair, its the press/fans that have brought the hype, not the developers.
I've seen plenty of interviews with Sean Murray and as the game got closer and closer to release you could see him get frustrated with keeping the hype at bay, constantly correcting interviewers and managing peoples expectations of what the game actually is.
Obviously they want people to be excited to play their game but I think the fans snowballed that way out of control and I'm afraid its likely to impact on peoples impressions of the game.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2016, 05:56:11 AM »

Someone pay me $60 dollars to buy and write a 300 word review of it, please
better yet someone pay me £2900 to cover a shortfall in research money into inflammation and obesity. please.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2016, 06:15:43 AM »

Someone do that but then buy me the videogame
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:32 AM »

the votes are in and it's official: please give me money but also give him money
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2016, 06:51:55 AM »

From all the streams and first looks I've seen the planets look very similar. I'm thinking if I will buy this or not, since I do want to travel through space and see pretty vistas but I'm worried every planet will be more of the same.
and0
Level 0

I do things and translate stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »

...Molyneux-level promises of infinite gameplay...

I get what you mean there but I think the comparison to Molyneux might be a bit unfair, its the press/fans that have brought the hype, not the developers.
I've seen plenty of interviews with Sean Murray and as the game got closer and closer to release you could see him get frustrated with keeping the hype at bay, constantly correcting interviewers and managing peoples expectations of what the game actually is.
Obviously they want people to be excited to play their game but I think the fans snowballed that way out of control and I'm afraid its likely to impact on peoples impressions of the game.

Yeah, that seems to be the crux of the issue as far as I can tell. Pretty much all people I talked to that were disappointed by the game were disappointed because they had imagined more than the developers have shown and said. I didn't really follow the game all that closely, but to me it always seemed to be what it is now: A tech demo for their procgen algorithms, where you can relax, fly around, discover stuff and not much else. But many people seemed to have imagined there to be more, for whatever reason.

Then again, some people say the developers have been overly vague about the game, thereby creating misunderstandings and fostering speculation. Can't tell how valid that is.

I got pink cats with jetpacks right here.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2016, 07:07:17 AM »

Tha game also changed a lot in development. A year and a half ago there wasnt supposed to be any npcs, just you flying around in space. It feels to me that the mining/crafting stuff was kind of an afterthought as well.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »

So the improbable happen, two player met, but where unable to see each other, despite managing to be in the exact same spot!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »

This game looks very interesting since almost everything in it is visually new, so I don't get what you mean by that.
"new" in an absolute sense, but it is all the same in a structural sense

I don't blame the developer btw. He pretty much knew you cannot expect an interesting game out of it. But as a commercial experiment for proc gen it was a valid try.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »

jsnake is being weirdly strident about something that's actually true this time

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »

Only if you can break down exactly given the design goal why he is right. Else it's just a subjective assessment with no ground.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »

Only if you can break down exactly given the design goal why he is right. Else it's just a subjective assessment with no ground.

Procedural generation (as in, making many things from the same process, in any context) is well suited towards variety and randomness, and extremely poorly suited towards actual variety. Everything that springs forth will, by its very nature, spring from the same set of constraints, and (within a whatsoever reasonable level of complexity) no matter how indirect the effects or large the ranges the limitations will become evident to any observer relatively quickly. Since hand-made work rarely comes from a strict set of processes, it's much easier to engineer wonder and surprise and 'things worth seeing' with alternative approaches to making content. Proc gen is 'boring' because most ppl don't care about systems or process as much as they care about results they can connect with or relate to in some way (as with even the clumsiest work made by other humans)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

As a fellow noctis fan, how would you say it compares?
i think noctis is still better. the lo-fi graphics (that vaseline filter!) and limitations of the engine/design make noctis way more engaging (at least mentally) for me. there's something about filling in the gaps with noctis that really gets me going. all the kind of half-baked systems in NMS as well as the higher-fidelity graphics do a lot to pull me out of the wondrous state i found myself in when playing noctis. i still find the exploration in NMS a lot of fun and it scratches at least some of that noctis itch, especially the naming/discovery stuff. i got really into naming stuff in noctis. and it has caves. all i wanted from a potential noctis v was caves. and NMS is way easier to play than noctis in this day and age.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic